TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
silversun Offline
Hello, gorgeous :o)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kayla

My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 01:22 AM

Recently, my mom has been thinking that I'm depressed.
The way she's been treating me, and my self-esteem problems may be causing this to be true. What should I do? I have MPD as well, this may be it, too.

Love you-- Kayla c:

Feel free to PM me if you need anything or have any questions :-)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 01:50 AM

MPD? Elaborate?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
fresco Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
MPD? Elaborate?
Multiple personality disorder aka dissociative identity disorder (DID) I am guessing?

Maybe you don't have clinical depression but depression can really be defined as any state of mind that was brought on by sad, hopeless thoughts. In any case, being depressed is hard for a person. If you are experiencing feelings of intense sadness, hopelessness, helplessness then you may have depression. You should probably get the opinion of a medical professional (maybe the same person who diagnosed you before) and see what he or she would recommend as far as treatment goes

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresco View Post
Multiple personality disorder aka dissociative identity disorder (DID) I am guessing?
Yeah, I don't know, thats normally not diagnosed in 13-year-olds. Not only that, but Depression would've already been diagnosed if that were the case.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
Yeah, I don't know, thats normally not diagnosed in 13-year-olds. Not only that, but Depression would've already been diagnosed if that were the case.
^ This.

Honestly, I'd visit another psychiatrist or speak to another doctor. At thirteen, any psychiatrist who will diagnose something as serious as MPD is a quack who needs to go back and re-obtain their degree. Also, if MPD were diagnosed, I imagine depression definitely would have been. I would honestly see another psychiatrist and get a second opinion.

If you're self-diagnosed... Well, no one should practise self-diagnosis. Not only does it cause you to act in a certain way (whether consciously or not, many people will begin to mold themselves to fit their self-diagnosis) but it's often inaccurate, simply because you can't base a diagnosis on what you find online. There's criteria on top of criteria, and put simply, unless you're trained and have gone to school to understand it... You shouldn't be labelling anyone, let alone yourself, with a diagnosis.

In any case, I would go see a doctor about your concerns and speak to them about the possibility of depression. And if this doctor would be the same one who diagnosed you with MPD, ask for a referral and see someone with a second opinion. I'm not doubting that there's an issue you might need guidance in dealing with, but I do doubt any professional who can miss depression but not MPD.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
silversun Offline
Hello, gorgeous :o)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kayla

Re: My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 09:31 AM

It's not quite self-diagnosis, but everyone diagnosis. My aunt has MPD, and my grandmother and parents both think I have it. And my friends say that I might(i know, not the best way to go, but i trust them). Everyone I come in contact with immediately believes that I have it.

Love you-- Kayla c:

Feel free to PM me if you need anything or have any questions :-)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: My mom thinks im depressed, and I might be. - July 5th 2010, 07:10 PM

I don't see how MPD is something you can immediately believe someone has. My mother has a client with MPD and it's not something you'd guess without getting to know her. But none of this is my place to judge, though I disagree with even "everyone's diagnosis." Everyone thought I had Borderline Personality Disorder, and though I exhibit symptoms of it, it turns out it's not BPD and that everyone was wrong. I can understand the concern if someone in your family has it, but honestly, I wouldn't trust the advice of anyone who's not a medical doctor, because as I said, they're trained to understand the criteria. So I would speak to your mother about seeing a psychiatrist who can help you with your concerns. If she believes you have MPD and depression , I imagine she'd be willing to take you see someone for it.

Closed Thread