TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 17th 2011, 10:01 PM

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this.. I think it is.
But anyways, for awhile now I've been dealing with depression but I've never told anyone. Until a few weeks ago when I broke down and told my best friend, and then I broke down in school and talked to my guidance counselor about it..
He suggested I call my doctor, and go to counseling..so now I see a counselor every Thursday at school. I never told my parents, and I don't really want to to be honest.
The thing is, last week when we talked we ended up talking about a lot of stuff and he believes I could have an eating disorder as well, or very close to spiraling into one.
I guess I've never thought about it as an eating disorder or anything though.. I just deny it.
So, he said I must go to the doctor for depression and the eating thing, but I can't arranged an appointment by myself for the doctor because I live in the country, plus if I got prescribed something my parents would have to know about it I'm pretty sure.
And on top of all of this my grades are slipping, and my dad flipped on me and said I was just f*ucking life up and not even trying anymore.. that hurt.
I want to tell them whats going on, but I don't want them to see me differently..I'm afraid of how they'll react, I don't think they would be mad. I just don't want to go there. I can't even imagine how it would be if I told them.
Part of me wants to just go back to acting like everything was fine. I don't like talking about myself and my problems. I never do. Plus I know some things I've done/have been doing to myself aren't right..but I don't see them as a bad thing.
I don't know what to do. I have to tell them..don't I?
I feel like I might burst out crying.. faaack

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 18th 2011, 12:17 AM

Things won' be fine if you don't tell your parents. It just won't be. Call a family meeting and explain everything at once. It will be better in the long run. If they understand the problem they can help solve it. They can help you with school, and with life. Parents are there to help. Be glad they will be willing to help. Some people don't even have that. Tell them, be honest.

Good luck.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 18th 2011, 12:24 AM

Sara,
Opening up about the difficulties you are having is probably one of the most difficult yet substantial steps toward beginning your recovery. I'm thinking if you are facing such uncertainty that maybe this is something to talk about with your counselor, or ask him to bring your parents in and then it can all be discussed in a meeting. If your parents are truly understanding what you are going through, they will want to do their best to help you, and I am sure that the indifferent attitude will disappear once they figure this out. Their job is to care for you no matter what. I hope things improve for you soon. Please try to stay strong and if you need someone to be there for you I am here.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 19th 2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Things won' be fine if you don't tell your parents. It just won't be. Call a family meeting and explain everything at once. It will be better in the long run. If they understand the problem they can help solve it. They can help you with school, and with life. Parents are there to help. Be glad they will be willing to help. Some people don't even have that. Tell them, be honest.

Good luck.

- Justin
I know things won't be fine until I tell them..
Its just something I really don't want to do I guess. Part of me says tell them, I know it'll make things easier and I may feel a bit better but at the same time I don't want them knowing everything..I've been hiding this stuff for years.
Thank you, I'm going to tell them soon Heh

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 19th 2011, 08:13 PM

Sara,

If you don't feel comfortable talking to them, but feel your parents should know about all this, you could write them a letter.

Honestly, you should tell them, though. Think about it, if things get worse, or if you happen to need medical treatment (whether anti-depressants, or hospitalization, or whatever else could happen), your parents will find out anyways. If you talk to them, they may be able to support you, and even get you in with a therapist, who would be able to help you better than a counselor could.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 19th 2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTrue View Post
Sara,
Opening up about the difficulties you are having is probably one of the most difficult yet substantial steps toward beginning your recovery. I'm thinking if you are facing such uncertainty that maybe this is something to talk about with your counselor, or ask him to bring your parents in and then it can all be discussed in a meeting. If your parents are truly understanding what you are going through, they will want to do their best to help you, and I am sure that the indifferent attitude will disappear once they figure this out. Their job is to care for you no matter what. I hope things improve for you soon. Please try to stay strong and if you need someone to be there for you I am here.
I talked to him about it today, and he said that I should just tell them..at an appropriate time. But before next Thursday.
He wants me to go to some counseling group which starts next week so I'll have to tell them if I go..because they would have to drive me. (I live in the country)
I don't know when I'm going to tell them..
I know I should get help, I've already started..but right now I'd rather just give up and forget about it. But apparently that's not an option because I would just get worse.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

(#7 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 19th 2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
Sara,

If you don't feel comfortable talking to them, but feel your parents should know about all this, you could write them a letter.

Honestly, you should tell them, though. Think about it, if things get worse, or if you happen to need medical treatment (whether anti-depressants, or hospitalization, or whatever else could happen), your parents will find out anyways. If you talk to them, they may be able to support you, and even get you in with a therapist, who would be able to help you better than a counselor could.
I think writing a letter seems odd.. I know it would easier then telling them myself, but I wouldn't even know what to write.
I'm probably going to need to get medication, which is why I realized I would have to tell them..
Thanks, I'll think about writing a letter instead lol

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 19th 2011, 08:27 PM

Well, you could basically tell them what you've told us here, about how you've had these depression issues, how you've seen a counselor at school, how you feel you should go to your family doctor to get proper care for this, etc.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#9 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 20th 2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
Well, you could basically tell them what you've told us here, about how you've had these depression issues, how you've seen a counselor at school, how you feel you should go to your family doctor to get proper care for this, etc.
Very true haha
Thank you (:

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 20th 2011, 10:56 PM

Honestly, telling them might change how they look at you but NOT in a bad way. It'll help them see that you need help, which is better than trying to hide it all the time. You could always print out your post here and give that to them, or write a letter. That would give you both time to think about what you wanna say, and to me it's a lot less awkward to tell them in writing. Make sure they know you're serious too.

It's so great that you're considering telling them, and that you already took the first steps to get better.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Advice On Telling Parents About Depression And Possible ED? - May 24th 2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilChaos View Post
Honestly, telling them might change how they look at you but NOT in a bad way. It'll help them see that you need help, which is better than trying to hide it all the time. You could always print out your post here and give that to them, or write a letter. That would give you both time to think about what you wanna say, and to me it's a lot less awkward to tell them in writing. Make sure they know you're serious too.

It's so great that you're considering telling them, and that you already took the first steps to get better.
You were right, I told my mom when she was driving me to my friends (who lives pretty far away) and she was obviously upset but she understood.
Shes called to get me an appointment to see the doctor about everything.
I can't really tell if shes going to treat me differently now though, I was gone all weekend and her and my dad just got back from a trip
I guess I do feel better..
Thanks (:

Closed Thread