TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zucks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexa

How do I tell people.. - June 11th 2011, 06:10 AM

How do I tell people about my depression and suicide thoughts?

The only person I have ever told is my friend, and that was a year ago after I told her I hurt myself once, and never did again, which was all lies. Besides that, I've wrote on one blog about it and had to delete it the second it was posted.

I feel like I need to open up.

I have told my mother about one of my friends attempting suicide, which she felt so bad for my friend. I just do not have the heart to tell her about my late night insomniac thoughts about ending my life, or when I sit alone in my room on weekends thinking about life without me.
I tried talking to my friend who cuts herself all the time about how I've been feeling for the past year, but she thinks I'm asking her to make fun of her, which I definitely am not.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Re: How do I tell people.. - June 11th 2011, 06:17 AM

ok well first off its great that you wanna share this with ppl and get help! posting here is a great first step. Good job Now as for telling your mom i would say just sit her down and tell her exactly how you feel. My friend use to play a game with me cuz i was so quiet where she wouldnt talk for 5 minutes and i could say anything during that time. she couldnt respond or react till the time was up. maybe get ur mom to agree to those terms? or if all else fails write a letter... you cant mess up what you want to convey to her if it is written down..and it may make things less akward then saying it to her. Best of luck

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bnwhite Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: How do I tell people.. - June 11th 2011, 03:15 PM

It's great to hear that you're ready to open up to people about your thoughts. I know it's a hard step to take, but it's so important. I second the idea of letter writing. That's actually how I told my parents about my self-harm and depression and about how I wanted to go to a counselor. It worked in my case and I know it's helped others, too. Maybe you could start there. Make sure if you write a letter, that you make it known what you need. If you don't express what you need out of this, you're just leaving the recipient with a letter and a thousand thoughts to go along with it. If it'd be easier for them to bring it up to you and start a conversation, state that in the letter. If you don't want to talk about it in person right away, put that in the letter. If you need to talk about any of this, feel free to PM me. Good luck with this!

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

"What matters isn't that you fell, but that you got back up. No matter how many times it takes, it's that you get back up. We fall down and all isn't lost." --Renee Yohe

Closed Thread