TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 22nd 2011, 09:39 PM

So when you're feeling really down how do you cheer yourself up?
I tend to massively overeat to the point where I feel like I'm going to throw up. It doesn't make me feel better but at least it gives me something to do instead of self-harming. Afterwards I feel worse though because I feel really fat and beastly and unattractive.

But yeah, how do you guys cheer yourselves up? Things that I usually enjoy don't make me feel better :/ The standard thing that I've read on the internet is to exercise, but I can't find the motivation to do it ever, especially when I'm feeling depressed.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow Ninja Offline
Dont judge just listen
Not a n00b

Name: Jackie Lee

Re: How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 22nd 2011, 10:50 PM

i just remeber when i was little and clear my mind like why do i feel this way do i need to feel this way and i just think it over i take deep breaths and think happy thoughts

dont forget you matter to me

just because it seems no one cares dosnet mean i dont

live life now becasue if you dont well you only have one life

dont watch me grow up no has so you wont either

shoot for the moon you will always land in the stars

dont forget where you came from

love is an ocean it has different forms

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Theres always someone. <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 22nd 2011, 11:07 PM

I think it's all a matter of trial and error.

Some days, if I just get the chance to be alone with my thoughts it helps. But then there's days when that won't work, so I go through a bunch of different things to figure out what'll work at that moment in time.

Sometimes it's something I enjoy, like drawing, painting, reading, or playing games or whatever. Other times I find work to do, like cleaning, or weeding the flower beds around the house. Sometimes helping other people and knowing I've made at least a bit of difference helps.

All in all, its about distracting myself really.

I suggest you try new things, that maybe you've never considered before, since you say things you used to enjoy don't really work anymore. I'm sure you'll find something.

Feel free to PM/VM/Add me if you ever need to talk, I'm online a lot and don't mind at all.

Best wishes!
Nikki

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The shell of what's below
You can't go on suffering
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
You can't go on suffering
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.
❤Feel free to PM/VM, or add me if you ever need a friend, or someone to talk to. I'm online quite often.
Add me on FB <--- apparently this is my creeper face.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 23rd 2011, 12:09 AM

I'll draw, or I'll cook dinner/bake something, I love being around food or creating it and not feeling fat afterwards.

If I can get the energy I'll go for a run, or even just walk around the neighborhood for a bit, it helps clear my head. If I am to the point that I can calm myself down, I'll take a bath/shower, or just lay down and try to sleep or meditate.

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 23rd 2011, 02:04 AM

Hey there,
Personally, I challenge myself to do everything I don't want to do when i'm feeling down. For example, when I know i'm feeling bad I will force myself to go out and walk around the neighbourhood to get some exercise and fresh air. I know staying inside all day will only make me feel worse, so instead of letting it contribute to my low mood, i'll challenge it. Going outside and taking a walk may be the last thing I want to do, but I know there's a chance it'll help me feel better rather than just doing nothing about it.

Some of the things I do to try to help is get fresh air, doing the small things that may make me feel better (ex. taking a shower, getting dressed in comfy clothes), listening to upbeat music instead of listening to sad music, going out with a friend(s) even when I'm not in the mood at the time, reassuring myself that things are going to be okay, keep trying not to dwell on the negatives, etc.

Everyone is different so you kind of just need to keep an open mind and try new techniques if one way doesn't work for you. It may not be an easy task to cheer yourself up, but it's possible. I know the lack of motivation is hard to deal with but you just have to push yourself to try your hardest. Don't be afraid to ask for help from someone you trust. Having that support from a close friend/family member/counsellor can be really helpful when you're struggling. You deserve to be happy and healthy.

Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
zucks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexa

Re: How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 23rd 2011, 02:19 AM

Usually I look at pictures of good memories and things like that. I also listen to music which keeps my mind off of things. I keep myself away from anything I can hurt myself with.

"...and I've lost who I am, and I can't understand.."

Here for anyone.. PM me or add me, anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: donna

Re: How to cheer yourself up :/ - June 23rd 2011, 07:56 AM

It depends how I am feeling at the time. Sometimes I listen to music, play music, draw, climb up the cliffs around where I live and challenge my fear of heights or just go for a walk, write poems etc, go driving, take baths, eat chocolate or just read a good book. Depending on how I'm feeling some things wont work all the time.
You say that you cant motivate yourself to exercise, but I would really recommend trying as its really effective. I hope you can find some things that you enjoy doing.

Closed Thread