TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
samantha:)x Offline
ASmileCanHideAMillionTear s
Not a n00b

Name: samantha

My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 11th 2011, 06:44 PM

She told me at school at lunch that she doesn't see any reason staying and no-ones there for her..:/
I told her im there for her but it didn't help.
But i dont think she means it, i think she is attention seeking to be honest :L xx

It serves a lot of functions in my life. I use it as a way to punish myself, I use it as a way to medicate myself, I use it for the tension release when things get too strong or too built up. –ditto

Faking a smile like always

- Pm me if you need help or a friend xx
  Send a message via MSN to samantha:)x  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 11th 2011, 08:37 PM

Well, whether she's attention-seeking or not, you should probably at least keep an eye on her.

Honestly, if you're sure she's seeking attention, just, make sure she's OK, but don't smother her. Like, text her after school to casually chat, without addressing the incident directly, just so you can be sure she's OK, at least.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bayhorse321 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shoshana (Shana)

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 11th 2011, 09:11 PM

I agree. Some people say it and don't really mean it but honestly you never know. For the longest time my friend thought I was kidding about this kind of stuff when I would try and talk to her. She would laugh it off. It wasn't until recently that she really started to believe me. I am glad she listens now because she really helps a lot. Honestly even If she is doing it for attention I think like previously said, just keep an eye on her.
much love
~Shana <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
samantha:)x Offline
ASmileCanHideAMillionTear s
Not a n00b

Name: samantha

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 11th 2011, 09:25 PM

I am there for her because i know what it feels like.xx

It serves a lot of functions in my life. I use it as a way to punish myself, I use it as a way to medicate myself, I use it for the tension release when things get too strong or too built up. –ditto

Faking a smile like always

- Pm me if you need help or a friend xx
  Send a message via MSN to samantha:)x  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bayhorse321 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shoshana (Shana)

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 12th 2011, 01:51 AM

I understand. Glad that she has such a great friend like you. If you ever want to talk feel free to vm or pm me anytime.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Theres always someone. <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 12th 2011, 02:05 AM

I went through a very similar thing with my best friend. Sadly, it didn't end well because after about a year of being there for her I felt overwhelmed and assumed she wouldn't do it, that she was attention seeking. That choice, will haunt me the rest of my life.

As others have said, just make sure she is ok. Some people say it and don't mean it, but other times it's more like a way of asking for help...some people have difficulty doing that. Text her, just chit chat with her, and just be a friend to her in general. I know how trying it is to try and sort out your own problems while dealing with a suicidal friend. It's great you're concerned for her and that you want to help, but don't forget to take care of yourself too.

Stay strong; she's lucky to have a great friend like you. If you ever ever need to talk, please don't hesitate to PM/VM/Add me. I don't mind at all.

♪♫"The mirror only shows
The shell of what's below
You can't go on suffering
The illusion of control
It's time for letting go
You can't go on suffering
And now you know
Now you know"♪♫
'Now You Know' - 2Cents
Things get better.
Always keep fighting.
❤Feel free to PM/VM, or add me if you ever need a friend, or someone to talk to. I'm online quite often.
Add me on FB <--- apparently this is my creeper face.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 12th 2011, 05:03 AM

I'd say if you're SURE she's doing it for attention, keep an eye on her but don't give her attention for what she wants attention for. Like others have said, just talk casually. You can be there for her, but if she really is looking for attention, giving her attention would reinforce negative behavior.

However, I don't really agree so much with ignoring suicide threats because you don't know if she's serious or not because you aren't her. A safe thing to do would be to tell an adult because even if she's just seeking attention, she probably needs help.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
HealingAngel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Angie (or Ang)

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 12th 2011, 06:18 AM

Dont EVER assume she's just attention seeking. I can't talk about this in depth because it's pretty triggering for me atm but my best friend almost killed himself last November and if I hadn't of stayed up sending like, a zillion texts and calling him repeatedly (all night long) he says he would have ended it in the morning... it's serious. Something IS wrong. Whether she would actually kill herself is debatable but she's hurting and if you care about her it is your responsibilty to make sure she's okay. No, it is not your responsibility to help her and her life is in no way (and I truly mean no way whatsoever) yours to keep safe. Her life is not in your hands. If you were to look up advice about this online (which I have before) some people say that it is and that you should immediately go to a councelor or else "her blood is on your hands if she dies" but that is NOT true. A lot of people out there are ignorant about this and they are not at all correct when they say that. But, it IS your responsibility to check to see if she's okay if you care about her. If she isn't suggest a councelor, a parent, a close friend, a family member, TeenHelp or [Edited By Jazz Guy] to her. Suggest something and make an effort to show you care. If she isn't your best friend (that's okay if you aren't willing to spend tons of time helping her) just acknowledge it and tell her you do care and that so do other people. Try to encourage her to spend time with friends. Basically what I'm saying is, don't completetly brush this aside like it never happened, because it did and she is hurting.

When You're At The End Of Your Rope...
Tie A Knot... and Hold On... <3
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
I think I kinda, sorta, maybe... mighttt just love him after all...
- . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . -
Settle precious, I know what you're going through,
Minutes before you got here, I was going to jump too...

Last edited by Loving Linux Penguin; July 12th 2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: advertising

(#9 (permalink)) Old
kenzi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kenzi lila

Re: My friend wants to kill herself :( - July 12th 2011, 07:59 AM

if she needs attention give it to her! but give it to her for things that deserve it compliment her truly, tell her how lucky you are to be her friend... make it so she doesnt have to some up with anything else for attention. honestly i think in my experience tho there are 3 kinds of suicidal categories... attention for attention. attention for help. and straight up im done. the AA would be those who feel needy and deprived, and i think i deal with these peoiple by giving them attention in ways they crave. for the AH i help! i do every possible thing i can and i dont ever leave their side. For those that are in the last category. it was their time to go. if they werent afraid and just were gone... they never told anyone because they knew they didnt need to be stopped but of course i can break down the last category further because i have been there myself. anyway. i guess i was just thinking through typing....Pm me if you wanna talk

Live and let live

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread