TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alibear101 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alyssa

trying to tell it all on Facebook statuses - August 22nd 2011, 02:03 AM

So I usually post statuses on Facebook that are really depressing. They basically express my true feelings. There are things like: I feel like my world's crashing down on me. My heart aches. I want to give up so badly or I struggle everyday fighting this battle I'll never win, and wishing people could understand, but they never will... People always comment and tell me to suck it up and get over myself. They don't realize that I feel like this is the only way to express myself and that otherwise I have no where. I dunno why i feel this way but i do. I dunno how to stop, I always say that I'll keep the feelings hidden afterwards but I never do. I guess its like a drug for me. Anybody have suggestions for what I could do instead?

Everybody dies, but not everybody lives <3
  Send a message via MSN to alibear101  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: trying to tell it all on Facebook statuses - August 22nd 2011, 02:10 AM

I often post song lyrics as facebook statuses, often they sound sad and depressing out of context (and just as often I intend for them to sound that way). I realized later that nobody cared one way or another what I posted, sad or not, I would never get a response, so I just stopped posting things there. I would suggest opening a blog or a twitter or simply using a journal as an outlet other than facebook.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: trying to tell it all on Facebook statuses - August 22nd 2011, 02:13 AM

It's a bit of a drag to see someone posting constantly depressing statuses on Facebook. Yes, people get depressed, some more so than others, some more seriously than others, but posting on Facebook about it is not going to help you. If you want to rant, a diary or a blog is a good idea. Friends are good people to talk to. However, reminding your friends on FB constantly that you're depressed is a good way to irritate everyone you know.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: trying to tell it all on Facebook statuses - August 22nd 2011, 02:14 AM

I post all of my "depressing statuses" here on TeenHelp's blog. Or Tumblr. I love Tumblr, haha.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
alibear101 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alyssa

Re: trying to tell it all on Facebook statuses - August 22nd 2011, 02:21 AM

thanks you guys

Everybody dies, but not everybody lives <3
  Send a message via MSN to alibear101  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: trying to tell it all on Facebook statuses - August 22nd 2011, 03:57 PM

Unfortunately, outside of places like TeenHelp, most people aren't interested if someone's depressed. They'll only give you the time of day if you appear happy.

I'm not saying it's right, or fair, but that's the way humans are - most people want to surround themselves by happy people not depressed ones, since emotions are so contagious.

Plus, there is the idea that if you post negative things on FB, you're attention-seeking. I'm not saying you are, but it's likely to be viewed in that light. Also, people don't usually know what to say to depressed people, so they just come out with something unhelpful like "suck it up".

As others have said; use a more private method to express your feelings, e.g. Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogspot, etc, and if you want helpful responses, post on TH.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

Closed Thread