TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

My parakeet is acting weird & won't leave his cage - October 31st 2013, 11:15 PM

I'm not really sure if anyone here can help, but I've tried google. The problem with that is, my parakeet is 8 years old & everyone having this problem has really young parakeets.

Anyways, to the problem. Recently, my parakeet has been hanging out on the bottom of the cage a lot. I looked it up & I read that parakeets like to eat food off the ground, which he moves his food down there, so that wasn't worrying me. However, now he won't come out of the cage for anyone, including my mom & I, whom he always comes out for. When we put our hands in there, he runs to the corner of the cage to hide. I learned a trick to get him out, where I'd put my hand on the opposite side. But earlier, he was on the bottom of the cage again when I went to get him out, & he started squawking at me. He's squawked before while chirping, but that was like "oh I'm feeling chatty so I'm gonna get really loud". The one earlier was like "oh my god I'm going to die" & it was really freaking my dad & I out. We've never heard that type from him before. I also just had him out a few minutes ago, where I put him on the couch to hang out. Usually he loves that & runs around chirping, but this time he jumped right off & ran back to his cage.

Does any of this sound normal for parakeets, young or old? He's just acting weird, not like sick or anything so I haven't taken him to a vet. Maybe he's just getting old? I'm just curious on others' takes on this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: My parakeet is acting weird & won't leave his cage - November 1st 2013, 01:46 AM

Actually, that isn't normal at all for a bird. It actually could indicate some sort of sickness. I would take him to a vet, preferably an avian vet if you can find one.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: My parakeet is acting weird & won't leave his cage - November 2nd 2013, 08:33 AM

Yeah my mom & I were talking about it more today & it's just really weird. I'll look into avian vets. Thank you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: My parakeet is acting weird & won't leave his cage - November 2nd 2013, 09:48 AM

Hey Barb,

I agree with taking him to the vet, sudden behaviour changes usually indicate there's something wrong even if he doesn't actually look sick so it's best to be on the safe side.

I don't have much experience with birds myself so I can't really offer you anymore advice but I hope the vet visit goes well, let us know what happens

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lady99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My parakeet is acting weird & won't leave his cage - November 4th 2013, 02:20 PM

Hmm, that doesn't sound good... Have you found a vet yet? How is your parakeet now?

My parents used to have one, and usually when it was really quiet or hesitant to come out of his cage, he wasn't feeling wel... I wish you all the best!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: My parakeet is acting weird & won't leave his cage - November 7th 2013, 01:20 AM

Maybe he experienced trauma that you don't know anything about? Does he live at home with your parents? I have no idea if you live in a dorm or at home, so...

Definitely take him to an avian vet!

Closed Thread