TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ClockWorkHearts Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ko

Unhappy my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 12:46 AM

For Christmas I got two guinea pigs from the pet store (that I named Booker and Cas) I had only owned them for a week but they seemed to be adjusting well, they were both eating and drinking and making typical guinea pig sounds.

I realized that Cas wouldn't run around the cage like Booker but I assumed it was simply because he had a more mellow personality so I brushed it off. Then when he was finally comfortable enough with me that I could hold him I realized that he was much skinnier than Booker. This really concerned me but my parents both said just to keep an eye on him. Unfortunately a few days later (today) he died.

This was very upsetting to me considering that they are the very first pets I have ever owned and I was determined to make sure they where happy and healthy. Not only this but I am having a very hard time bonding with Booker, and though Cas was still very timid I felt extremely close to him.

The pet store where I got them from offers a 2 week warranty so I can either get a refund or select a new guinea pig but I am torn over what I should do. I don't want to give up on caring for animals just because of this one thing. I'm considering taking Booker back and getting two new pigs to start over with, like I said I'm not at all close to Booker, but it feels cruel to exchange him I just don't know

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 02:21 AM

I am so sorry this happened to you
It sounds like he was sick when you got him, and there wasn't much you could do.
I definitely don't think you should give up on taking care of animals either. Sometimes these things happen.
Maybe just keep Booker and see how that goes? Or do guinea pigs have to be in pairs?

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
KimmyKitty Offline
Queen Kitty Bae
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimberly

Re: my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 02:37 AM

I'm sorry that this happened to you. It's really tough to lose a pet that you have become close to. As said above, I also think he was sick when you got him. Personally I would take Booker back. I don't see that as being cruel. Booker would still be taken care of and eventually have a new family that would love and care for him. The reason I personally would take Booker back, is so I'd have a fresh start. It's up to you though, at whatever you choose to do.

SKITTLIFY!

Random Cat!
  Send a message via Skype™ to KimmyKitty 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 03:13 AM

Don't take him back. That is a really awful thing to do considering the treatment "given up" animals get. They're not like half-finished art projects you can scrap and start over if you don't like. Give him time and you will surely grow closer. After all, pigs are very timid prey animals, and to expect them to get used to you this quickly is not an easy feat. What problems are you having in bonding, anyway?

If you are going to have pigs at all, just keep the one and get a refund for the other that died. It's probably not a good idea to buy another pig from the same store if they are selling sick animals, so try another pet store if you want a pair. Just remember to quarantine them to make sure they don't have any diseases before putting them together.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ClockWorkHearts Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ko

Re: my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 03:47 AM

Hey, thank you all for responding, I'm really grateful for the support.
Just to answer a few of your questions:

No guinea pigs don't technically have to be in pairs or groups, but emotionally they do much better with a partner.

Also, I've decided I'll probably keep Booker, even if for no other reason than to keep him from going back to a place where they let their animals get so sick and then still offer them as pets. The only reason I was so concerned with deciding right away is because once the two weeks are up there is no option of getting an exchange, but in the end I just want to choose the place where he will be happiest.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 04:24 AM

Hey there.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's hard to lose a pet no matter how long you've had them for, and even though you still have Booker I know it must have been difficult to lose Cas.

I'm glad you're keeping Booker, and I'd give it a while before deciding whether or not you've bonded with him. Sometimes it can be instant, sometimes it can take a bit of time, so just keep an open mind and try to work with his personality, if that makes sense.

At this stage I wouldn't try getting another guinea pig, since you mentioned these were your first pets, and introducing another piggie into the mix might just complicate things. Get the hang of caring for Booker and consider getting him a friend later on.

I would also recommend taking Booker to the vet, if possible, just in case whatever Cas had was contagious and could pass onto him. It's much better to be safe than sorry.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope this helped a bit. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Re: my new guinea pig just died - January 3rd 2015, 01:25 PM

Definitely not your fault. He has to have been sick when you got him.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

Closed Thread