TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeadlySin Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Rats! - January 18th 2011, 08:48 PM

Who has or has had a rat as a pet?

I had one for almost two years. Her name was Cleo and she was my baby!
Sadly she died about a year ago. =/
I miss her.
I know a few people will probably say ewww, and I thought the same till I got one.
They are like mini kitties and give soooo many kisses.

So am I the only rat freak on this site?

Pretty sure Playing Pretend will find her way on this thread. =P
Miss I HAVE THREE RATS.
I wanna steal one of hers >.>

Anyway! Feel free to posts pictures as well. =D

Here's mine!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3918584_n.jpg

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to DeadlySin Send a message via MSN to DeadlySin Send a message via Yahoo to DeadlySin Send a message via Skype™ to DeadlySin 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Rats! - January 18th 2011, 09:02 PM

Awww, Cleo looked adorable. I'm sorry she died.
I love rats, as pets, but I must admit I'd freak a bit if I saw one in my garage or the back garden. I've never had any pets, but a friend of mine has two black rats and I'm jealous xD

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Rats! - January 20th 2011, 03:28 AM

I think my mum would kill me if I had rats. And I'm sorry to hear about Cleo.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_am_waves Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ryan

Re: Rats! - January 20th 2011, 08:35 PM

Aw, Cleo was cute! I used to have a white rat named Astro, lol. I think rats are great as pets, but I'd freak the hell out if I just saw a random one in my apartment or something, lmao.

Send a message via MSN to i_am_waves  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Rats! - January 24th 2011, 01:04 AM

I love rats! I work at an animal shelter and they have like 7 baby rats! They were adorable. During one of my driving lessons I brought up the shelter. When I mentioned the rats the lady was like gross! We spent the entire hour arguing about how rats can be cute she was mean lol

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Rats! - January 24th 2011, 08:02 AM

For those who are interested, here's a great page from a lady who keeps rats.
Her Journal has heaps of facts about keeping them and making them happy.

http://dianephotos.deviantart.com/

And a website she linked to about why you should NEVER buy a rat from a pet store.
http://www.brecklagh.com/petshops.html

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Rosalie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosalie

Re: Rats! - January 24th 2011, 08:03 PM

My parents won't let me get a rat (we have cats) but I LOVE them! They're such interesting and intellegent animals. I like to spend time at the pet store just watching them...

"I don't care. I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what created The X-Men!"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Morgan. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Morgan

Re: Rats! - January 25th 2011, 04:44 AM

I have never had a pet rat, but i would love one. I think there adorable. But im pretty sure they are illigal where i live.

The Stars Are Allways There But We Miss Them In The Darkened Clouds. We Miss Them In The Storms. Tell Them To Remember Hope. We Have Hope.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: Rats! - January 25th 2011, 09:01 PM

rats are amazing pets. I had a bunch growing up, and recently had two but one passed away. the other is living with my friend since i'm at college. I get the same reactions too!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
rac146 Offline
Missing Molly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ruth

Re: Rats! - January 28th 2011, 01:51 AM

I have had tons of rats, I currently have 5. Rats are super social creatures, so if anyone on here is thinking about getting rats, keep in mind they are pack animals and are happy with at least one companion (of another rat) I have a huge cage and take my rats to the vet and get them surgeries when they need em too so Im even extreme to some ppl. Some ppl like my rats but wonder why I take my best care of them....its because they are so awesome

Look a rattata!!!!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Rats! - January 29th 2011, 04:08 PM

I would love to get a rat one day. I almost got one about a week ago, but ended up getting four mice that were being horribly abused But I was petting a rat at Petsmart, and she just about crawled up my arm asking me to take her him

Right NOW though, I'd die if I got another pet. I already have to figure out what to do with all mine when I go to college. ._.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
mint-eh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jackie

Re: Rats! - February 1st 2011, 08:32 AM

Where I live rats are illegal to own and someone can get a $5,000 fine for owning one. I live in Canada in the province of Alberta by the way. I have never seen a rat in real life, just on tv. Alberta has been deemed a rat free zone for WAY longer than I have been alive. They kind of creep me out and I don't see the use in them. But I guess they are like any other rodent pet. We can have pet mice though. Kind of the same.. Just much smaller. Cx

(#13 (permalink)) Old
C0co Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cody

Re: Rats! - February 13th 2011, 08:36 PM

I had two pet rats named Riley and Chubby, but unfortunately one of them died in August 2008 and the other one died in January 2009. I still miss them though.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Rats! - February 14th 2011, 02:10 AM

I never actually owned any rats but because of the area I study in (neurobiology, neuropsychology & pharmacology), I've done, read and watched experiments done on live rats. I've also dissected dead rats. I think it'd be unusual owning one because I'm used to them being used in scientific experiments. However, I do have dogs and although a rat cage would be out of my dogs' reaches, they can jump up and have knocked things down that were out of their reach before.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Rats! - February 14th 2011, 02:13 PM

One of my mice is getting so big I might just start calling him a rat to make fun of him

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Re: Rats! - February 15th 2011, 02:17 AM

I absolutely love ratties, they are the best pets aside from dogs, in fact they're like mini dogs! They love to give kisses and cuddle. Currently I have 5 boys and 4 babies are being transported from Ohio this weekend, all 4 are rescues, all of my rats are rescues. Anyone interested in rodent pets should definitely consider these cuddly little guys. They really aren't so icky!

Live Help Operator/Help Link Operator - Please feel free to pm me if you need anything.

Moderator for the Pregnancy and Childcare forum.

"Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jaden89  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Rats! - February 15th 2011, 05:48 AM

For those of you who own rats, do you train them or do any non-invasive tasks for the rat (such tasks don't hurt the rat at all)? If I had rats, I would definitely do these, such as Morris' water maze task, conditioned place preference, etc... .

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Re: Rats! - February 17th 2011, 05:14 AM

I'm not sure about whatever it is you're talking about their but my rats are litter trained, come to their names, play dead and dance >.>

Live Help Operator/Help Link Operator - Please feel free to pm me if you need anything.

Moderator for the Pregnancy and Childcare forum.

"Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jaden89  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Rats! - February 18th 2011, 02:45 AM

I think mice and rats and all animals are cute furry little guys.
I've never owned any though. They just don't interest me enough for me to own any.
I would like to own a python and some frogs and toads, and some tarantulas. Those fascinate me the most. I am strangely obsessed and in love with spiders and big creepy crawly things. I guess that's what makes me different from most girls haha. xD

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Rats! - February 20th 2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden89 View Post
I'm not sure about whatever it is you're talking about their but my rats are litter trained, come to their names, play dead and dance >.>
That's not what I'm talking about at all. The things I mentioned are used in scientific research to understand memory and learning. Morris' water maze task works like this: you take a very large circular (ideally) tub and put it in a room where you place certain coloured objects on the wall, preferably large objects (i.e. can paint some cardboard and use those). You fill the tub with water then add stuff in it to make the water opaque so you cannot see the bottom of the tub at all. Next you put in a small platform that is just under the water level but do not put it right next to the walls of the tub. The water should be a luke warm but a little bit cold also. This is a video showing how the water tub could look, its rough size and how some items on the wall may look (these guys are using only black-and-white items on the wall). Cut to 1:06 of the video just before where Brooke starts and watch until the end, the stuff before it just ignore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24kDZ...eature=related. When Yves starts (before Brooke), he doesn't take a walk around the room and when the camera tries to focus on the room, Yves puts his face in the way

The idea is when you first put the rat into the water, it'll swim around randomly trying to find the platform. Once it stands on it for a few seconds, you take it back to its cage. Later (i.e. hours or 1-2 days) you use the same rat and you'll notice the rat will swim pretty much straight to the platform because it is using the same visual cues from the items on the wall to gauge the platform's location. The water must be cloudy so the rat cannot see the platform when you first put it into the water. The first experiments used milk but that is costly and cannot keep for a while, so people usually use powdered substances with water.

Conditioned place preference is an experiment you may not want to do because it is more complicated to set up and if you don't do it right, you will hurt the rat pretty badly.

Closed Thread