TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

The dgo's gone crazy, help! - March 25th 2012, 04:30 PM

So we were using this lovely weather to do a spot of gardening, and the dog decided to join in by doing a spot of digging. Fair enough, we let him as long as there aren't flowers there. But then all of a sudden he starts digging more frantically and has made a 20-inch deep hole. We're stood there laughing because, well, it was funny. But then all a sudden out jump a couple of baby rabbit. So then we had an "oh sh*t" moment and drag him away. We think the rabbits were okay paha, but were not sure.

So we took him for a walk to try and calm him down but he was barking all the way and trying to drag us back. Then he went straight back to where the burrow was. My dad's tryed spraying water at him when he starts to dig, but it's not working. The dog's demented. What do we doooo?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: The dgo's gone crazy, help! - March 25th 2012, 05:53 PM

My family has had this problem a couple of times, with both of our dogs! Unfortunately, it's a dogs natural instincts to hunt the rabbits so you can't do very much to stop him from wanting to dig them up. He might have scared them out of their nest, and in that case, they might have been ready to leave it and probably won't be back. When you're out there next, go take a look and see if they're still in there. The only thing you can really do is take your dog for walks rather than letting him out in the garden... I'd just keep an eye on him when you can. My dog's actually caught a couple bunnies and it's not nice Good luck!

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The dgo's gone crazy, help! - March 25th 2012, 06:42 PM

hi Kate,

The dog isn't 'demented', it's just being a dog. Remember what dogs are: Predators. And rabbits are prey.

Unfortunately, there's not much to do here as your smart dog has figured out the rabbits are there and will continue to return to that spot until they are no longer there. So, you either move the prey or keep the predator away.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: The dgo's gone crazy, help! - March 25th 2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
The dog isn't 'demented', it's just being a dog. Remember what dogs are: Predators. And rabbits are prey.
You didn't see him He's normally the calmest thing ever, but he was going ballistic! He's calmed down a bit now (we gave him a bath haha.) I'll see how he goes tomorrow. He is still trying to get back to the rabbits, but kinda gave up when I tugged him away. He's asleep now actually

Thanks for the help haha, I'll see how it goes

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The dgo's gone crazy, help! - March 26th 2012, 12:15 AM

I know the feeling, Kate! Sometimes, we forget what they really are. But, deep down, they are what they are, and when that gets fired up, it's very powerful!

Keep him away from the rabbits and give him a distraction, like a new chew toy or giant raw hide bone.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: The dgo's gone crazy, help! - March 26th 2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Remember what dogs are: Predators. And rabbits are prey.
I concur.

Let him catch them. He was born to be hunting bunny wabbits all day long.

- Yogi

Closed Thread