TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Professional help? - September 1st 2012, 03:21 PM

So, I told my teacher that I self harm, and she was really nice about it. I'd talked to her before about whether or not the school had a psychologist, but she said that I should talk to a guidance counselor. I hadn't told her about anything then. A couple of days ago I talked to her again, and she said that she was sorry it was so hard me and that I was so sad, and I told her everything. She is arranging a meeting with the guidance counselor right now, and she says that he can get me professional help for free and without my parents or the school knowing (I'm under 18). I have to meet him wednesday and she said she'd come with me for support, and then they will find out when I can talk to a psychologist. I just don't know about that.. what will I talk to the psychologist about, and will I have to like show my scars and wounds? I'm just really scared that the person will try to get me to stop right away and say that I have to tell my parents, because I just can't do that.. I don't know what to expect, so if anyone knows anything or had some experiences with it, please help me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Professional help? - September 1st 2012, 04:15 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live your parents are notified unless they are the cause of your self-harm (If they abuse you or something) I have been through this, and they told me I'm a danger to myself and others and I was not aloud to come back to school until I talked to a professional. They will probably go through a checklist, Like asking you a bunch of questions. For example, 'Have you ever considered suicide?' 'How long have you been doing this to yourself?' etc.
Even if they do tell your parents, I still think you should open up about it and that you are doing the right thing. It helps to talk to people about it. However, if your teacher said your parent's wouldn't be notofied I'm not sure if she is right. It's a law for your parents to be informed. The teacher has to report it to someone of a higher authority (school counselor/school psychologist) The psychologist should take care of it from there, Good luck. I hope I helped.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Professional help? - September 2nd 2012, 04:06 PM

Denmark, it's in Europe connected to Germany. And thank you! I've looked into it a little, and I think that when you are 17, it is only if they think you are a threat to yourself, or if you are unable to understand the treatment given to you, that they have to tell your parents. Otherwise it is completely confidential... Well, now I kinda know what questions to expect. It is just really weird, now that I have an appointment with my guidance counselor and teacher, it is much more scary than before. It seems so unreal.
Oh well, you helped a lot, thank you Cassie!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Professional help? - September 2nd 2012, 05:02 PM

My psychologist mostly lets me just talk, but she'll ask some questions to direct the discussion if she needs to. She asks me how stuff makes me feel and what I'm thinking about during different situations. I've been going there on and off for four years. She's known about my self harm the entire time and has never asked to see my wounds or scars. That was just my experience. Thought I'd share. Good luck with everything!

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Professional help? - September 2nd 2012, 05:36 PM

Thank you, good to hear

(#6 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

Re: Professional help? - September 2nd 2012, 08:57 PM

when i went in to see my therapist the first time, he asked to see my cuts/scars. He checked up on them once in awhile as well, just to see if i had gotten worse with them, or when i told him i had, he would ask to see to make sure i was at no real risk to myself. But yeah... i'd say it depends on the therapist

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Professional help? - September 2nd 2012, 09:31 PM

Hm.. well, I hope I won't have to. At least for a while, but thanks Rachael!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Professional help? - September 3rd 2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
Denmark, it's in Europe connected to Germany. And thank you! I've looked into it a little, and I think that when you are 17, it is only if they think you are a threat to yourself, or if you are unable to understand the treatment given to you, that they have to tell your parents. Otherwise it is completely confidential... Well, now I kinda know what questions to expect. It is just really weird, now that I have an appointment with my guidance counselor and teacher, it is much more scary than before. It seems so unreal.
Oh well, you helped a lot, thank you Cassie!
I'm happy to help. I hope your appointment goes well!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Breakaway Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Professional help? - September 5th 2012, 02:30 PM

It did I think. He was really nice. He made me fill out a schedule of how many hours a day I spend on different things, and in the end, I only had like 10 hours left a week to do homework and stuff. Really showed me how stressed I feel right now. He also told me to write down what I feel when I cut, but what do I write? I just feel stupid.. But overall, I guess it went well. Have another appointment next week

Closed Thread