TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lelo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Marie

What should I expect? - September 24th 2012, 10:17 PM

So I have finally desided to seek help in my battle with bulimia and self-harm and I am going to do that by seeing my guidance councler, but I am really nervous so I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions.
1. Will she tell my parents?
2. Will she get my a therapist?
3. Will she tell my teachers?
4. Do I just walk in during a passing period or do I ask my teacher to go to guidance?
5. How should I tell her?
6. What will she do?
7. what kinds of questions will she ask?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddie

Re: What should I expect? - September 24th 2012, 10:32 PM

Firstly I just want to say congratulations on deciding to go talk to someone! That's a really big step in the right direction and I'm so proud of you!!

I'll just tell you what I know from my own experiences and I hope that it will help. When I told my school counsellor about my self harm I had already been going to see her on a weekly basis for depression and anxiety, so we already knew each other quite well. I think because of that she was more understanding about why it wouldn't be a good idea to tell my parents. I think they are legally required to tell a person of authority if you are a danger to yourself, but from my experience there are ways around this.

She couldn't get me a therapist because as my parents didn't know there would have been no way to pay for it, but at my school the counsellor is a fully trained therapist, she doesn't deal with school related problems, so sorry I can't be more helpful...

For me, she told one teacher to keep an eye out on me but not anything more specific than that. We discussed what I would be comfortable with my teachers knowing and who I would be okay with her telling, so maybe you should give that a bit of a think beforehand.

If you're struggling to tell you, I would recommend writing a letter and giving it to her. That way you can really think about what you're going to say and don't have to worry about giving the wrong impression or anything. As for questions, she might ask her frequently you self harm, how severe it is, and will probably try to get an idea of why you do it.

I really hope that helps, and feel free to message me if you want! I think it's great that you're seeking help and I wish you all the best!

-Maddie xxx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: What should I expect? - September 24th 2012, 10:53 PM

First off I'm glad that you are deciding to seek help, that is a great step! So good for you! Now on to your questions;

1. Will she tell my parents? yes, more than likely. as an adult she the responsibility to keep you safe. i'm sure you two could come up with a way for her to tell them if you don't want her to do it over the phone, i.e. suggest setting up a meeting with them! But whenever anybody is hurting themselves people in authority have to tell!

2. Will she get my a therapist? She can help you locate a therapist in your community or she can leave that up to your parents and you. But if you ask her for getting a therapist I'm sure she'd be more than willing to help you.

3. Will she tell my teachers? No, that would break confidentiality. The only people she should tell are your parents, nobody else. Unless you specifically ask her too.

4. Do I just walk in during a passing period or do I ask my teacher to go to guidance? You could do either, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

5. How should I tell her? Tell her however you feel most comfortable! If you feel like writing her a note and giving it to her explain your problems, go for it! Or you could write an e-mail! Or you could just show up and tell her you have a problem that you feel needs addressed and tell her about it from there.

6. What will she do? She'll probably try to figure out why you do it and talk to you about those reasons and suggest ways to stop. She should offer you encouragement and tell you that she is always there to offer support to you!

All guidance counselors are different, so it really depends. The biggest questions I think that you would get are her asking the reasons why you do this and how long you've been doing it!

I really hope this has helped you! Let us know how your meeting with her goes! =)

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: What should I expect? - September 24th 2012, 10:53 PM

First off I'm glad that you are deciding to seek help, that is a great step! So good for you! Now on to your questions;

1. Will she tell my parents? yes, more than likely. as an adult she the responsibility to keep you safe. i'm sure you two could come up with a way for her to tell them if you don't want her to do it over the phone, i.e. suggest setting up a meeting with them! But whenever anybody is hurting themselves people in authority have to tell!

2. Will she get my a therapist? She can help you locate a therapist in your community or she can leave that up to your parents and you. But if you ask her for getting a therapist I'm sure she'd be more than willing to help you.

3. Will she tell my teachers? No, that would break confidentiality. The only people she should tell are your parents, nobody else. Unless you specifically ask her too.

4. Do I just walk in during a passing period or do I ask my teacher to go to guidance? You could do either, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

5. How should I tell her? Tell her however you feel most comfortable! If you feel like writing her a note and giving it to her explain your problems, go for it! Or you could write an e-mail! Or you could just show up and tell her you have a problem that you feel needs addressed and tell her about it from there.

6. What will she do? She'll probably try to figure out why you do it and talk to you about those reasons and suggest ways to stop. She should offer you encouragement and tell you that she is always there to offer support to you!

All guidance counselors are different, so it really depends. The biggest questions I think that you would get are her asking the reasons why you do this and how long you've been doing it!

I really hope this has helped you! Let us know how your meeting with her goes! =)

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What should I expect? - September 25th 2012, 02:06 AM

I am so proud of you for getting help! I will go by my experience when answering these.

1.Will she tell my parents? Yes, she may tell your parents. I know that when I went to my guidance counselor about it she said that she had to, since she has the responsibility to keep you safe. She basically said if she knows that you are talking about harming yourself or someone else she has to tell to keep you and/or anyone else involved safe.

2.Will she get my a therapist? My experience with this is that she can recommend going to therapy to your parents, but if you ask her for help finding you a therapist she can help you look for ones in your area. She can leave going to therapy up to you and your parents and can't force you to go, but she definitely can recommend it. I know that my guidance counselor and school psychologist made up a list of therapists for me to give to my parents, and at first my parents were hesitant but were eventually convinced.

3. Will she tell my teachers? No, she won't tell your teachers. The only people she should tell are people that are directly related to getting you help. I know that since I had fresh cuts, I had to see the school nurse to get them cleaned, for instance. Then I had to speak to people about it since it was a "crisis." This was a school psychologist and her then apprentice (?), the head of the guidance department, and the crisis team. However, the way your school operates may be different and therefore you may meet with just the guidance counselor and your parents. That's how I did it in middle school.

4. Do I just walk in during a passing period or do I ask my teacher to go to guidance? You could do this either way and what makes you feel more comfortable depending on your school rules. I know that in my school you have to get a pass unless it is an emergency, but your school may not operate that way. So, you can always go during a passing period and the worst that can happen is you'll have to get a pass from a teacher.

5. How should I tell her? There's no right or wrong way to tell her. You can be up front and honest about it and just say "Ms -name-, I am struggling with self harm," or you can describe the problem. I wrote it in the form of a letter because nerves and interruptions didn't get in the way that way.

6. What will she do? She will probably discuss the reasons why you self harm with you and help give you better ways to cope. She'll encourage you to see her if you need to discuss things and just give you support through it.

7. what kinds of questions will she ask? Like Sammie said, all guidance counselors are different but the main things may be why you self harm and how long you have been doing it. I know that both of the times I told about it they also asked what tool I used and things of that nature.

I wish you the best, let us know how things turn out!

Closed Thread