TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Name: Magdalena

Question should I tell my GP? - July 14th 2013, 11:38 AM

hey.
So I've been self harm free for a month and a week with only one relapse. I'm doing good and feel confident. however the scars on my left arm are still there and I want them gone. My parents don't know, only my sister and friends. I use bio oil but they're still really visible. I want to go to my GP and ask for some help with them but i'm scared that when they learn of my self harm they'll tell my parents and god knows what else. I don't want my parents to know or my school. I don't want counselling or anything I'm doing good. I just need help with my scars.
is going to my doc a good idea? Will they tell my parents and who ever else? What should I say to them? Has anyone gone to their doctor and what happened? Also, what stuff did they give you? Am I allowed to get stuff from the doctor if my parents don't know? I'd be so grateful for any answers.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lurkalot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Me

Re: should I tell my GP? - July 14th 2013, 12:13 PM

Hi Magda, congratulations for being self harm free

I would say that you are already doing the best you can- using Bio-Oil, that's the advice my GP gave me. You can have scars removed surgically but I don't know much about that process, and if you were to go through with it then your parents would need to be informed anyway for such a procedure (I think).

The scars will fade and become a lot less noticeable, Bio-Oil fades them faster. Bio-Oil does take a few months to a year for the scars to fade significantly. It depends on your GP but if you have been SH free then I don't see why it would be necessary for them to tell your parents, but if you really want to see your GP to discuss it then be prepared for some possible consequences- if they seem to want to tell your parents etc prepare what you are going to say to ensure your GP that SH is no longer an issue for you and nobody needs to be told.

Last edited by lurkalot; July 14th 2013 at 01:25 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to lurkalot 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: should I tell my GP? - July 14th 2013, 12:19 PM

Hi there.

I agree with Sid. I think you're already doing the best you can do by using home treatments for scaring. My doctor spoke to me about it before because I have severe scaring and he suggested surgery to have the cuts reopened so they healed better or to have skin grafts but he also told me I needed to be self harm free for so long before they would consider to put me on the list. And I mean, that's not just something minor, it's a big decision and I don't know whether you're scaring is severe enough for it to be an option either.

My advice to you is to keep doing what you're doing. There are other things like Bio Oil too such as palmers so have a look around and experiment a little. But remember that it does take time too.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Question Re: should I tell my GP? - July 14th 2013, 02:54 PM

Hey, thanks.
the thing is, I know how bio oil works and that it takes time but there are a few deeper ones and they might need more than just bio oil to get rid of them. to be honesty, sure I won't like my parents knowing about my sh but I really want the scars gone. Is a month long enough? what about client confidentiality?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: should I tell my GP? - July 15th 2013, 02:08 PM

Hey there,

If you don't mind your parents, possibly, finding out then I think you should go to the doctor. However, I think you should keep in mind that your doctor might not recommend anything more than using bio oil. I know that you don't like your scars and you want them to fade but you have to give it time.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Re: should I tell my GP? - July 17th 2013, 09:17 AM

Mmm. I told my parents. They seem okay. Mum said that every day for a week we'll talk about stuff like you know what's made me feel so low. she said that if at the end of the week I don't think I feel better she'll take me to some sort of professional or something. It's already Wednesday and mum knows more but I ain't the one talking. When we do sit down, it's her talking about herself and her depression and stuff. It's annoying because i'm the one supposed to be talking, and at the end of each time we talk, she says that if i don't talk we're gonna get no where. Thing is she's the one always talking. She also said that we can't go to a professional straight away because she doesn't want drama and then maybe the social getting involved. So basically i'm stuck. Gonna get no help even though i've told people. There's things that I feel like I can't tell her, I can't talk to her, I don't want to talk to her!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: should I tell my GP? - July 17th 2013, 02:54 PM

Hey there,

Do you think you could sit down with your mom and explain that talking is hard for you? Let her know that there are some things you don't feel comfortable talking about and would prefer talking to a professional about. I realize that would be a really hard conversation to have but getting in to see a professional could be really helpful because they would be there to listen to you and help you deal with whatever issues made you start cutting in the first place.

I understand your moms reasons for not wanting to get you in with a professional but it could be really beneficial and it would be a good idea for her to at least take it into consideration.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Magda Offline
Magdalena Konopacka
Not a n00b

Re: should I tell my GP? - July 17th 2013, 11:59 PM

Hey.
We made an appointment with my gp on Monday. I'll say that it's a problem that i'm dealing with and is in the past. Hopefully she'll help and I'll c what she says. I'll tell mum, well I'll try, about me not knowing what to say. It's difficult when she sits me down, tells me that she wants me to tell her stuff but I just go blanc.
Thanks guys for your support, wish me luck! xxx

Closed Thread