TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Exclamation hospital and telling parents? - August 19th 2013, 07:26 PM

Ok, so I plan on telling my youth leader of my cuts tonight and shall see if he will take me to the hospital to get them checked out. I'm just worried about the wait times and what the doctors will think . Also, I'm scared to go to the hospital because I never got stitches before and it frightens me...and if I do, my parents might find out.
Also, since I'm 18, and in canada, its free because I have a health card eh? And also, since I'm of age, they don't have to tell my family right?

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 19th 2013, 09:28 PM

Hi there, firstly hope all goes well and let me know how it does go. I'm not 100% but I think since you 18 your classed as an adult so they don't have to tell your parents but as I said I'm not quite sure.
The doctors will only do whats best for you and help you. If you do need stitches the doctors are highly trained and do it almost everyday so your in the best hands to have the treatment.
Wait times can depend when you go to the hospital but you can say its urgent if you feel that it needs immediate medical attention, if not then you'll have to wait.
Take care and hope it all goes ok.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 19th 2013, 09:44 PM

If you go to the ER, the wait times are going to vary. It can be anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours; depending on how crowded the waiting room is. I suggest bringing something to keep yourself occupied while you're waiting. As mentioned before, the doctors will wan to help you. I want to say this in the nicest way; some doctor's act a little different when it comes to SH and they aren't as accepting as other doctors are. This isn't to scare you, it's just to let you know. You'll probably get a very nice doctor, though! Keep me posted if you'd like.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 21st 2013, 11:22 PM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you are going to tell someone. I hope that there support helps you through everything that you are dealing with. Now, in regards to the hospital, every time that I have gone to the ER to get stitches they have taken care of me right away and there wasn't much of a wait time. This might be different with your ER because every ER varies but if you do have to wait it might give you and your youth leader some time to talk. Also, since you are 18 they will not have to tell your parents. The only way your parents would have to find out is if you were to ask them to call them or something like that.

I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 22nd 2013, 12:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up telling my mom (who's a nurse) and she just said that it was too late for stitches, and I shouldn't do it again. Also, my family has all cut...my brother, sister mother, aunt and uncle...so yeah.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 22nd 2013, 12:49 AM

Wow, I've never heard of having a whole family who have self harmed. I guess it's nice because they should be able to somewhat understand why you do it, right? It's not fair for your mom to just tell you to never cut again though. It doesn't work like that. If you never cut again that would be amazing. But recovery almost always means relapse. You don't just decide to cut and never do it again. Normally you will slip up. If you do don't beat yourself up. Just keep trying and you'll become stronger and ignoring the urges will become easier. Provided you want to recover in the first place. Some people don't.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 22nd 2013, 02:30 AM

Hey!

I recently had to go to ER to get stitches. Typically if the cuts are over a day old, they won't stitch them. They may bandage them. Your health card with cover everything. They may want you to stay and no, they won't tell your family. Let me know how it goes.

Best of luck

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 23rd 2013, 03:43 AM

Hey Jacob,

I am glad that you were able to tell your mom. Do you think now that you have confided in her she is someone you could talk to when you are feeling an urge to harm yourself? It might be hard to do at first but the more often you do it the less difficult it can become. You deserve to have support while you are going through this and maybe your mom could help offer you that.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: hospital and telling parents? - August 24th 2013, 01:07 AM

Hi there,

I know typically there's a seven hour rule because of infection, but I also know if it's very seriously deep, they'll still stitch anyway. I recently self harmed badly and had it stitched two days after and then again five days after, it just meant I had to go on three lots of anti-bioitics. Point is, if it it ever is really bad, don't hesitate to go to hospital because it's over that time. They can also pack cuts if they're bad too, and it's over the time. (I only know this from personal experience).

Like you I have three other family members who self harmed or who do and while it some respects it can be a good thing because it might help them understand you a little more, I can also understand that it might feel scary for them to know because you wouldn't want to worry them. I don't know what's going on for you but if you ever want to talk feel free to message me. You're worth a lot stronger than self harm so keep on fighting, okay?

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread