TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Having the urge to SH - August 27th 2013, 06:30 PM

So I've been SH free for 67 days now.Never thought I'd make this far, but I did,& I'm really proud of it.

But, lately on top of the recurring thoughts of suicide, I've really been having strong urge to cutting again.I really want to feel no emotional pain,& replant with physical pain.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

Re: Having the urge to SH - August 27th 2013, 11:55 PM

first of all, well done for being sh free for this long. It's such an accomplishment if you can manage this long, you can last longer. You know you can do this! And you deserve to be proud of it

(#3 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

Re: Having the urge to SH - August 28th 2013, 12:04 AM

ah i pressed 'post' by accident, i'm sorry!

but you're strong and you don't need to sh. Maybe you should take a look at the alternatives to self harm page, or you could speak to someone as often people feel better when they talk to someone. You could always speak to me if you ever want to

stay strong, you can do this!
*hugs*

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Having the urge to SH - August 28th 2013, 06:27 PM

Hey there

I know you posted this a while ago, and I hope you are now 68 days free If you aren't, that's okay, too. Since you're not engaging in harmful behavior, your body is probably trying to let you know that you still hurt. When you quit something, anything, really; you're still going to want to go back to it sometimes. And that's okay to feel like that; just try to cope in a healthy way. Have you used any alternatives? If so, what have you used? There are some really good ones out there.
You could listen to music, or write. Or if you need a more physical distraction you can take a walk until your feet hurt - I do that a lot. You could go to the gym as long as it isn't for ED behaviors. Talking it out with someone; or working towards recovery with someone is also very beneficial.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
YoungK9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Having the urge to SH - August 29th 2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectlyImperfect View Post
Hey there

I know you posted this a while ago, and I hope you are now 68 days free If you aren't, that's okay, too. Since you're not engaging in harmful behavior, your body is probably trying to let you know that you still hurt. When you quit something, anything, really; you're still going to want to go back to it sometimes. And that's okay to feel like that; just try to cope in a healthy way. Have you used any alternatives? If so, what have you used? There are some really good ones out there.
You could listen to music, or write. Or if you need a more physical distraction you can take a walk until your feet hurt - I do that a lot. You could go to the gym as long as it isn't for ED behaviors. Talking it out with someone; or working towards recovery with someone is also very beneficial.

I'm 68 days SH free. Last I came really close to SHing, I had the item in my hand that I was going to use. Then I heard my sister & friends walk upstairs,& I put it back.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Having the urge to SH - August 29th 2013, 04:12 AM

I'm glad to hear that you put the blade back. If you ever need anything, please message me.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Having the urge to SH - August 29th 2013, 08:42 PM

Hey there,

I think it is great that you have gone so long without self harm! Sometimes you are going have urges that are stronger than others but I have found that reminding myself that the urges will pass helps me make it through the urges.

What are some things that have been helping you fight through the urges? It would probably be helpful to look through the list of alternatives ( http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/) and try the things suggested there. The more things you try the better. I know that when I am having urges I will play games on my phone; if you have the capability to play games on your phone maybe you could do the same thing? I've found that playing games keep me so preoccupied that I don't have time to think of the urges that are running through my mind.

Do you know what triggered this urge? Sometimes something can trigger an urge to be even more intense and if you can work through whatever is bothering you you might be able to get through the intense urge. Something that might help with this is talking it out with someone or writing it down.

Something that I love is listening to music and when I am having urges I will go in my room and listen to music. Do you think that is something that will help you? I think that music keeps my mind preoccupied from thinking about the urges as well and I am able to focus on the lyrics and all that.

Try keeping yourself busy as well. Maybe you could try and initiate hang out sessions with your friends or get involved in clubs at your school or something like that. Sometimes the busier you are the better because it gives you less time to think about self harm. Do you like to read? I have found that reading can keep me occupied for hours at a time and so when I am having urges I will pick up a book or randomly google something and just start reading.

I really hope this helped and remember that while things might be bad right now they can and will get better with time. If you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread