TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stronger000 Offline
Just Staying Strong
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Naia

Trying To Recover - September 6th 2013, 01:48 AM

Ok I am now two days clean after a short relapse. I am trying to recover but I keep getting urges. And everyday they get stronger. I thought I was supposed to get easier? And what should I do with my blades? I know I shouldn't keep them, but I panic if I try to throw them out.

-Stay Strong-

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trying To Recover - September 6th 2013, 03:24 AM

Hey there,

Recovery is a process and I do think that the urges will die down but it will take time. Also, you have to realize that you will probably go through periods where you have intense urges and then there will be periods where you don't have urges at all or where the urges are not all that bad. The most important thing is that you work on finding other ways of coping with the things that make you want to cut. If you can work on finding other ways of coping they will help you deal with the urges that you will be faced with. I have been working on recovery as well and I have found that at different times different things help me deal with my urges. For example, when I am stressed out or anxious playing video games on my phone helps a lot because I find it calming. However, when I am having negative thoughts about myself the video games do not help quite so much and instead I find blogging about the negative thoughts or writing in a journal to be helpful. When I am angry I have found exercising and listening to music helps me deal with the urges. So, like me you need to work on identifying what your triggers are and then, slowly, work on identifying what things you can use to cope with those triggers. The Alternatives to Self Harm might be a good thing to check out.

As for what to do with the blades, I personally believe that you have to be ready to throw them out. If you throw them out prematurely you are more likely to go out and find more. So, in the meantime maybe you could find a secure place to hide them; a place that will make you work to get to them? For example, one time I hid my blades in a box and put them way back in my closet. My closet was super messy so getting them out took ages and by the time I got to them the urge almost always died down. If you can find a good place to hide them where you are going to have to work to get them you might find that by the time you get to the blade your urges have died down enough that you no longer need to self harm. Maybe you can take a box and bury them in your backyard or keep them hidden in your garage or somewhere else that is hard to get to. However, that doesn't mean you should avoid throwing them away. As time goes on try and test yourself and see if you feel ready to throw them away. Once you feel ready to throw them away do so because it will be an amazing feeling to be free of the blades.

I really hope this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
frison1313 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Trying To Recover - September 6th 2013, 09:31 AM

I'm so proud of you for trying to recover. If you don't want throw your blade away you could maybe but them in a room where you don't go often and out them in a box.
When you get the urges, call a friend, sing, dance, go for a walk. You can also do 100 jumping jacks, this would make you tired and out of breath

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Trying To Recover - September 6th 2013, 07:21 PM

Hey there!

Jenna gave some really good advice, so I'm going to add on to what she said.

Firstly, I want you to know that it's okay to relapse. Everyone does from time to time, and we are human. As much as it makes you feel down, it's okay. It's how you put yourself back on the road better taken that counts. From experience, the urges are going to be intense when you first start trying to recover. If you had a ritual with cutting, such as a certain time of night, etc., it'll make it hard. It's definitely worth fighting, though. You can brainstorm a list of alternatives or check out the alternatives sticky to see what works for you.

As for your blades, my therapist once suggested keeping them outside of my bedroom. This is easiest to do if your family is aware of your self-harm.
You can put them in the basement, where you'll have to walk through people, all the way downstairs, to get to them. That way, you are less likely to self-harm if it's a risk for people to see your tools.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
nicolelouise Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Trying To Recover - September 7th 2013, 11:09 AM

I am recovering and I can honestly say the best way to recover is to talk to someone. Friend, family, teacher.. someone you trust and if they give you advice then this will help you through. I have been clean for 5 months now.

Closed Thread