TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Scathach Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Friends - September 14th 2013, 04:52 PM

Hello. It's been quite a long time, but I'm back again.

I started cutting a few months ago. I opened up to my friends and... Let's just say it didn't go very well. They're disgusted and all and I... I'm just upset, is all. I don't know what to do anymore. Is it wrong what I did? Telling them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Alexa

Re: Friends - September 15th 2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathach View Post
Hello. It's been quite a long time, but I'm back again.

I started cutting a few months ago. I opened up to my friends and... Let's just say it didn't go very well. They're disgusted and all and I... I'm just upset, is all. I don't know what to do anymore. Is it wrong what I did? Telling them?
Hi there,
Well cutting is definitely NOT okay. It leaves unpleasant marks/scars on your body. What do you mean by opened up?About you cutting again? If they're your friends they should be concerned for you and not be disgusted. No, what you did was not wrong, to me your basically asking for help. I'm sorry you feel this way, do you know why you started cutting?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Scathach Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Friends - September 15th 2013, 01:45 PM

I started out by scratching myself. It isn't enough to relieve and focus on anymore so I cut. I thought I had it under control but it gets worse.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Friends - September 15th 2013, 02:14 PM

Cutting and other forms of self-harm are generally a way of coping with emotions or thoughts that you can't otherwise cope with. This means that often there is something else going on.

As to your friends:
It's ok to be upset, you went to your friends with an expectation that they would be understanding and supportive. They weren't. This doesn't mean they're not good friends, more likely that they weren't prepared for what you told them. SH is often stigmatised and misunderstood in the wider community.

I think you did a good thing telling someone. That's really important! Have you considered talking to a counsellor, teacher, someone else? Not as much about the cutting as whatever it is that lies underneath.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Friends - September 15th 2013, 10:27 PM

It definitely wasn't wrong of you to talk to them and open up about what was going on. You really deserve the support, and even though they may not understand fully about what it means to self harm, they should at least tried to react in a different way or tried to understand.

Don't let them discourage you from allowing your voice to be heard. Mahray gave you two other great people you can go to for support, or you can even talk to a doctor or family member. Your voice deserves to be heard, and there are people out there that will help, even if this time didn't go well.

Maybe you can also use an alternative to self harm instead. I like writing out what's going on, or you can even express yourself through art, music, or exercise. Other forms of alternatives are found here.

Even though things were hard, you did good for telling someone. Know that one day, you can solve what's going on and kick self harm to the curb!

Closed Thread