TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wildfire89 Offline
Formerly: thegirlnextdoor89
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jen

Feeling triggered over something stupid - December 4th 2013, 10:14 PM

I haven't cut myself in over 3 years and haven't had the desire to for about 2 years. My most recent form of SH was punching things until my hands were a mess, but I haven't even done that in about 1 year. I do still get the urge to do that pretty frequently.
Anyway.
Last night I was breaking up a fight between my 2 dogs and my one wrist got bit pretty good. I didn't think about it too much then, but all day today I have had a weird feeling. My wrist feels...good. I'm not upset about anything to where I would want to SH, it's just strange to have that feeling back. It scares me that I am feeling this way and I don't know how to shake it. I finally forgot how it felt to be cut, but now I remember every little detail...
I don't know what to do...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

Re: Feeling triggered over something stupid - December 4th 2013, 10:56 PM

I'm sorry you feel this way but congratulations on what you have achieved so far!

i would suggest looking at the alternatives to SHing or going back to whatever helped you before.

keep going, you're stronger than you may think xxx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Feeling triggered over something stupid - December 5th 2013, 12:51 AM

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on going so long without self harm! That's an amazing accomplishment so you should be really proud of yourself for managing to go that long, and I do think you can keep going!

I don't think this is a stupid reason to be triggered. Sometimes the simplest of things can spark the memory of what it was like to self harm, such as the sight of blood or how an accidental injury like yours makes us feel.

What tactics have you used in the past to avoid self harm? I think that you should use some of those now. I will also give you the link to this alternatives to self harm thread, because this has even more things you can try in order to prevent yourself from harming again.

Talking to people can also help, so if you have anyone who is supportive of you such as a family member or friend, you can sort out your feelings with them, and I bet they can help you come up with a solution.

Remind yourself of the reasons you stopped self harming to begin with, too, and how good it feels that you are no longer self harming. That may be another motivator to quit. You can write motivational quotes or print out pictures online that can also serve as a confidence boost.

You can get through this and come out on top! I have all the confidence in the world for you.

-Dez

Closed Thread