TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

How to stop myself self-harming? - December 25th 2013, 08:36 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Almost every day now, I wake up in the morning, hate myself for cutting because the water over the still open wounds feels likes someone is holding a lighter to my legs, then get dressed and think how ridiculous cutting is and how I will never do it again.
Theeenn as the day progresses, I sort of feel faint urges. By the time I'm going to bed, not only are the urges now overwhelming, but it doesn't seem stupid or ridiculous anymore; rather, it now seems a good idea, I want to.
So, what do I do? The alternatives thread is very good, but only when I'm trying to stop myself. Sometimes I don't want to stop myself, but then I really really really wish I hadn't.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How to stop myself self-harming? - December 26th 2013, 12:24 AM

Hi there,

I think that maybe you should sort of keep reminders of why you shouldn't self harm with whatever tool(s) you use to self harm. The reminders can be anything, small or large. For example, you can write down a list reminding you of how you feel in the morning after you have cut. Also, write down other things as well, such as how it's not worth it to have to hide all the time or have to worry about cleaning cuts all the time to prevent infection. Besides that, write down positive things as well. "I am caring," "I am kind," "I am worth so much better than this," "I can beat the urges," "I will feel proud when I beat the urge." Or, if there is anything else you can think of, write it down. Tumblr or similar sites may have ideas. That way, when you go to grab that self harm tool, the first thing you see is a list of reasons why maybe it's not such a good idea, and this may help you put away the tool rather than using it.

I saw something on the site written by another lovely member. I forgot the exact term she used for it, but I think it was something like a "Happiness Box." Basically, what you do is fill a box with items that make you happy or comfort you. For example, if you have letters from people you like, you'd put those in. Put lyrics from your favorite songs, or CDs and DVDs. Put any photos you like or even write down memories you really like. There really isn't any limit of what you can put into it. But, the object of this is to give yourself happiness, rather than using self harm to cope.

It may also help if you put your tools somewhere where they're harder to get at. For example, you can put them high up or behind some things, or put it somewhere that makes it more complicated to get at. If it's an object that isn't necessarily an obvious self harm tool you can even put it somewhere outside of your room. Of course, the best option would be to get rid of the tool altogether. But, the time you take getting the tool may be a cool down period.

You can do this!

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Re: How to stop myself self-harming? - December 26th 2013, 01:29 AM

Thanks Dez
I decided to wrap it in a piece of paper with some of the reasons not to, that was a great idea, thanks
Hopefully at somepoint I'll be able to get a photo of someone particular who would understand and has always accepted me for who I am to keep there too.
And eventually, I might do one of those happiness boxes and put it at the bottom so I get distracted before I reach it
Thank you, those ideas are really useful

Closed Thread