TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

wanting to try burning is it normal? - February 28th 2014, 07:39 PM

Okay so I cut, scratch my skin, pick scabs, and bite myself. I have lighters in my room because I collect them and when ever I see them always think "what would it be like to burn myself?". One person asked me once in a group if I ever burned myself and another one said that most people only do one forum of self-harm they don't do multiple. But yet I do more than cutting. Anyways my question is: Is it normal to want to know what it feel like to do something else like burn yourself? [edit] .(I saw it on tv) But I just want to know if this is normal.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

Last edited by *Jen*; February 28th 2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Removed self harm methods and overly triggering material

(#2 (permalink)) Old
UndeadKilljoy Offline
We all go a little crazy..
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Thomas

Re: wanting to try burning is it normal? - March 1st 2014, 08:25 AM

Ok, don't take this as in i'm encouraging it but burning is my self-choice of harming. It's more satisfying to me than cutting and it leaves prettier scars in my opinion.
So yes, to answer your question, wanting to try burning is completely normal. I mean, I do multiple ways of self harming also so, it's kind of turned into a hobby of
testing different things. Anyways, off track again.

IMO:
YES, IT'S NORMAL.

~I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.~
  Send a message via Skype™ to UndeadKilljoy 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: wanting to try burning is it normal? - March 1st 2014, 12:10 PM

Self harming generally advances. It's an addiction and you can find yourself needing more and more, because what once was enough, isn't 'satisfying' enough anymore, so you have to go further. For example in cutting- it could start off scratches and can progress to the point they repeatedly need stitches. I would say it is 'normal' for self harm to progress but not advisable.

As a side note, I really wouldn't advise going down the route of burning. All it means is infections, pain and can cause a lot of other problems. It's more hassle than it's worth.

And you are worth more than this x

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: wanting to try burning is it normal? - March 1st 2014, 05:17 PM

in my opinion it is normal to want to try other ways to self harm. It has happen to me and I tried burning myself because I was curious about it. Yes it is normal to do more than one self harming methods. I do a bunch of weird stuff to self harm. But I don't recomend trying because it is really addictive like cutting and stuff and it infections are a lot easier to appear and stuff, so please don't try it. I regret trying it.. Like I regret cutting myself.. So please don't try it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: wanting to try burning is it normal? - March 2nd 2014, 03:17 AM

Hey there,

As the others have stated, this is normal. It is normal to try other forms of self harm. I know that I have tried cutting and burning and a few other methods of self harm during my struggles with self harm. I think that when a person struggles with self harm their intent is to cause damage and so as it progresses they want to try different forms to test it out and because as they advance what they once harmed themselves with doesn't cause the necessary amount of pain so they need something new. I know I started out scratching myself and it eventually turned to me needing to get stitches multiple times.

I wouldn't recommend that you try burning yourself because it can lead to a lot of infections and quite a bit of damage. If you feel tempted try getting rid of the lighters so that the temptation is not there.

I wish you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread