TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
troubledjason Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

failed - February 26th 2015, 03:29 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

after being self harm free for 8 months I ruined it last night....It was probably because I was at a panel that was talking about sexual assualt on my campus. It was triggering for me but I felt like it shouldn't have been because some people there were actually sexually assualted on campus and a lot more recently then me.....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Re: failed - February 26th 2015, 06:19 PM

I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but keep in mind that just because you relapsed doesn't make you a failure. We all have set backs, and we all fall short sometimes. Not only is that perfectly okay, but it's understandable. I know this is easier said than done, but instead of focusing all your attention on remembering the assault when in this group, look around you, and see all the people you have there for you. Also consider that you can be there for someone else as well.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that things like this can be hard to open up about, but knowing that there are other people who have experienced the same thing (more or less) than you. It can show you that you aren't alone in this, and that you have support. No only on campus but here on TH. We want to see you succeed and to be able to overcome this hard time in your life.

Next time you are feeling down, and you are really struggling just remember that you aren't alone in this world. Think back to all the people in that group, think about us here on TH. We are here for you. Remembering that you aren't alone and that you do have people to come to when you are feeling so down is very important. Also, the next time you feel triggered enough to SH, consider different alternatives to help you over come the urge.

I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to. Don't hesitate to PM/VM me anytime. I know you can do this, and don't forget, just because you have a set back or two, doesn't make you a failure. You CAN do this.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: failed - February 26th 2015, 11:03 PM

Hey there,

Just because you relapsed does not make you a failure. I think sometimes relapses happen. Do you know what caused this relapse? If you can try and figure out what caused the relapse you can try to focus on overcoming that issue and getting to a better place. I know figuring out your trigger can be kind of difficult but it is an important part of recovery. Something that might help is keeping a journal and every time you are triggered writing down that trigger.

I think that looking up the alternatives would be a good idea as well. Sometimes it can seem as though the alternatives don't work very well but if you keep pushing through you might end up finding one that works well enough.

Don't beat yourself up for this relapse because it will not help anything. Instead embrace it as part of recovery and work on trying again. You can do this.

If you need anything feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: failed - February 28th 2015, 11:07 PM

Hi there,

Just because something happened to someone more recently than you doesn't mean it has a less affect on you. If you've experienced it in the past, it's likely to affect in you in some way and I think that's understandable and okay.

You did so well being self harm free for so long. That inspires me. I wish I could do that. Its incredible. Don't let this step back hold you down. You can continue to beat self harm and become self harm free again. I know it's going to be hard but if you want something, its worth fighting for it and only things worth fighting for are worth having. So keep fighting and use all the skills you have and if you're struggling to find skills, feel free to ask us for some skill coaching.

I believe you can get through this so believe in yourself!
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread