TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

I found a way to stop self harming - May 27th 2015, 07:52 PM

I found a way to stop self harming but it really is a load of *.
Cause I will just tell myself that I don't deserve the release that it gives me. I don't deserve to throw up and be thin. And it actually works surprisingly well. But It's kinda sad that I have to do that to stop self harming and purging that way.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I found a way to stop self harming - May 27th 2015, 09:45 PM

I personally think that purging is another form of self-harm, especially if you're using it to replace cutting. But based on how you're written this, I can't tell if you're using purging in place of self-harm or if you're finding an alternative that helps you refrain from purging and self-harming. Anything that gives you a release without having to harm yourself is okay to use as an alternative. Just remember that different alternatives work for different people, but you'll find some that work for you eventually!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I found a way to stop self harming - May 28th 2015, 10:50 PM

I suppose if this works for you then you should keep utilizing it but talking about yourself in such negative terms is not a good thing. You don't deserve the pain that self harm and purging bring. That isn't because you don't deserve release from the emotions building up inside of you but because you don't deserve that kind of pain.

I haven't responded to a lot of your threads so I don't know if you are currently in counseling but if you aren't I would suggest that you look into that. A counselor could help you find more positive ways to stop self harming and purging. They can help you deal with the emotions behind this issue and help you get to a better place.

If you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: I found a way to stop self harming - May 28th 2015, 11:18 PM

I'd like to say that I'm glad that works, but I'm not. I'm glad you're not participating in harmful behavior, but not as a result of negative self talk. In the end, that sort of talk will back fire. Have you ever heard of a dry drunk? Basically they exhibit all the symptoms of an alcoholic without drinking. This applies to those who have been dependent on alcohol before, quit, but never actually fix what drove the addiction in the first place.

The same applies to you. You're not cutting but you have everything else driving the behavior. That isn't healing,, or recovering (well, it's a start, but it's not the only thing). I suggest counseling as well. They can help you practice healthy techniques and help you work through what's driving your self harm. Stay strong, lovely<3 You're worth happiness.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Theaweseomrguy Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: I found a way to stop self harming - May 29th 2015, 11:25 PM

Even though it may not be the best thing to say to yourself if it's keeping you from doing it then it's somewhat good. Maybe try saying something positive like I am better then this. It won't help it just makes me feel worse later and see how that goes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I found a way to stop self harming - May 30th 2015, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the kind responses

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

Closed Thread