TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Scars -_- - August 5th 2015, 08:39 AM

From all the years of self-harming I am left with horrible scars all over my arms. They didn't really used to bother me before but half way through my nurse training and I am feeling the full impact of them now as I am required to be 'bare below the elbow' on certain wards, but can't do this as I have too many scars I don't want people to see. Even the most simplest of things like washing your hands has to be done with sleeves rolled up but I can't.. I have tried numerous things to try and make my scars less obvious but nothing has worked. I am now considering asking my GP whether I could have surgery in an attempt to cover up all my scars. I know that as a last resort they sometimes use a skin graft to cover up scar tissue, which leaves you with only one scar at the end. I suppose one scar from surgery would be better than hundreds of scars from self-harm.

I suppose what I wanted to know was, has anybody ever had this? Or is there any other specific treatment that has significantly worked for you. I should just add on here, the majority of my scars are really old, like from 4/5 years ago. They are all very very white so are obvious on my slightly darker skin tone, some are probably about up to 2cm wide; and a lot of them are keloid scars.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Sabs x

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Scars -_- - August 5th 2015, 10:45 AM

While I haven't tried this, maybe you can list some of the things you have tried, so we can suggest other things along with the surgery? I don't want to suggest things you may have already done.

I do hope people give you their experiences about surgery, though! I'd definitely talk to your GP about things such as risks and benefits of it, and things such as cost (you're in the UK but I don't know how things work! ). Maybe they can also suggest things to try first.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: Scars -_- - August 7th 2015, 04:12 PM

Thanks for replying!

I have tried:
Bio Oil / Rescue Oil
Cocoa Butter
Vitamin E Cream and Spray
Different creams to even skin tone etc

To try and temporarily hide it while at work I have tried make up that claims it is waterproof but it really isn't..

I just don't know what else to do now :/

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Scars -_- - August 7th 2015, 08:23 PM

What's helped me is using a body scrub to remove the dead skin cells. And then after that, I use some kind of lotion (preferably with aloe in it).

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Scars -_- - August 8th 2015, 03:59 PM

I'm going to be honest and tell you you don't need to change yourself for the worry of other people. You are beautiful inside and out despite your scars. Your scars are a part of what make you beautiful. They prove you are a strong person and that you got through a pretty shit time in your life and that's an achievement to be proud of. Haters will hate but the people who love you for who you are will stick by you despite your scars and your past.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread