TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KahlieDaPotato Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kahlie

Won't be clean anymore - August 31st 2017, 03:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've Been clean for a solid 6 months and I'm starting to cut again any advice??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Special Agent Offline
Live Help Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Junior

Re: Won't be clean anymore - August 31st 2017, 05:34 AM

Hi There-

I am sorry that you are struggling! I have struggled with cutting before so I know that it a very difficult thing to overcome. But, It is GREAT that you were able to stay clean for six months. You should be very proud of yourself for that!

When I was recovering I relapsed many times I think that it is part of the process... I would suggest that you try and find coping skills that work for you. I will put a link below to a list of coping skills you might find helpful.

COPING SKILLS

Please don't let this set back keep you from trying again. You can do this! We are here for you! Please keep posting when you are struggling!

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk!

-Jr.

-Jr.

"your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start."

-Nido Qubein

Live Help Mentor | HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Won't be clean anymore - August 31st 2017, 05:43 AM

Yes, like Junior said, relapsing is part of the process of healing. It's an addiction, it's a disease, it's outside of yourself. You can't blame yourself for giving into it once, but you can blame yourself for not working to control it. Letting the addiction control you is what gives you power, and believe me when I say you are so much stronger than that.

Don't think of this as the end to being clean, think of it as part of the journey to becoming clean.

When I was trying to stop cutting, I relapsed a few times actually. I started tracking those relapses in my phone calendar, and I found an interesting pattern.
The first time I relapsed was maybe 2 months after I decided I wanted to stop. The second time, 4 months. The third, 5 months.
Now I've been clean for 6 months. From the way the pattern has been playing out, by now I should be wanting to cut again. But I'm not going to, because I'm even more healed now than I was during those past relapses.

One day you will be too, I promise! But you just have to realize that just because you made a mistake and did it again, doesn't mean you permanently screwed up anything. It's just part of the healing process.
If you think it would help you, maybe you should start tracking your progress too. If you can count how far along you are and how long you lasted before the last relapse, then you can set goals for yourself.

How about this time, you promise yourself at least 7 months clean?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Concinnity Offline
Go gold.
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: Won't be clean anymore - August 31st 2017, 05:50 AM

Hey Kahlie. Like Junior said, staying clean for six months is AMAZING! You should be so, so incredibly proud of yourself for that. Self harm is a very difficult thing to beat, and the fact that you're cutting again now doesn't erase the fact that you were clean for an incredible length of time! So while I know that you're probably not feeling too great right now, you should definitely take a moment to acknowledge your accomplishment and be proud of yourself for such a huge recovery win.

Also remember that this isn't the end for you. Recovery from self harm is often not a linear process; I know that I've experienced many bumps in the road during the years I've spent trying to recover from it, and I think that a lot of people have experienced the same thing. It's just really hard to give up something that you feel so dependent on. But you can do it! And as much as it might seem like you are, you are NOT starting over again from square one - you already have 6 months clean under your belt. You're more experienced now. You're better at staying clean than you were 6 months ago!

Best of luck to you. You can do this.

"Chase your stars, fool. Life is short."

Closed Thread