TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

View Poll Results: How many of you cover up your scars or cuts in public?
I always cover them up 92 59.35%
I never/rarely bother to cover them up 63 40.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ohsnap! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 05:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

There seems to be a lot of threads about covering up scars, and that got me wondering about how many of you don't bother to cover your scars or cuts? Personally, I don't hide mine anymore. I would never tell people that I used to cut, but I don't wear long sleeves everyday anymore either. I let them think whatever they want. I still cover up with my family, but in public or school I don't since all I have is scars now.

So here's my question to you: how many of you always try to hide your scars or cuts when you're out and about and how many of you don't? Explanations are nice too. :]
  Send a message via AIM to ohsnap!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
justlikeme0 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 06:10 AM

i dont.
i will wear short sleeved shirts on a hot day. i dont bother to much to hide it.
if someone is really looking at it and i feel insecure, i might fold my arms or something to just make it harder to see. but most of the time i just let it go.
but with my family, i am very cautious. i always find a way to hide it when they are around.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Joanie

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 06:20 AM

Most of mine are on my legs and I wear jeans most of the time so there always hid. I rarely cut on my arms, but like everyone else says there more cautious around there family, so am I.

Labyrinth <3
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 07:57 AM

I hide mine. When I went away a few weeks ago I didn't cover them up but I would if I was with family

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 08:15 AM

The only one I have on my arm is a pink mark in the center of the underside of my wrist. Unless my arm is face up, hardly anyone sees it. I dot mind though. If they ask, and really want to know, I tell them. I actually love my scar, and plan on getting a tattoo in white ink on it when I get older.

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 10:04 AM

Most of mine are leggy scars so they naturally hide under jeans/tights as it's rather cold here, but I don't hide them when I don't have to. I use cocoa butter which has reduced most of them anyway.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 10:16 AM

My scars have faded quite a lot now and I don't bother hiding them. I hardly ever get asked about them anymore either, I honestly forget my scars are there a lot of the time.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 10:57 AM

I used to hide them all the time. But now, there's really not much left to hide. You'd have to look really really hard to see anything faint, and people don't tend to study my arms.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 12:24 PM

I have visible scars on the tops of my thighs, which are usually covered up by clothes. The only person that really sees them are my boyfriend.I haven't had to wear a bikini this summer in front of people, but I think when the time comes and they've faded a little more I won't bother trying to cover them up too much. I don't want to be forced to always have to cover up.. if people are freaked out by them, that's their problem. Fuck them.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
tortured soul Offline
It's never easy to get by
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 12:27 PM

I cover up my scars and cuts because, I don't want anyone to see them. It's bad enough they are there but why show em?

what is love but a four letter word that expresses a mix of emotions to one another
  Send a message via AIM to tortured soul  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Vision Offline
Average Joe

Name: Aisling

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 12:37 PM

I haven't bothered hiding them for a few months now. They're all quite old but are quite easily seen. My family know about them, so, if i started covering up my body they'd think i'm making new scars.
I do get self conscious though. Especially aroung friends who don't know about my SH.

Just kiss me.

Send a message via MSN to Vision  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 12:49 PM

most of my scars are really faded now, but when they were more visible i tended to keep them covered when i was around people i didn't know so well because i just couldn't be bothered with all the questions. around my friends i didn't care though, but around my family i definitely made sure they were covered. but yeah, as i said the only ones that are particularly visible now are on my stomach which no one sees anyway.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 12:59 PM

It really depends who I'm around. If I'm around family then I make a massive effort to hide my cuts so they can't see them. If I'm at school or just around my friends then I'm not that bothered, I'll roll up my sleeves or take off my jumper. I guess it depends how much I've cut.
I don't have any scars on my arms (usually only superficial cuts) , just scars on the tops of my legs so no one would see them anyway.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 01:22 PM

I don't hide mine, my parents found out so there's no need and it's torture in the summer to have to wear long sleeves and arm warmers. I don't bother to hide them at school either, people who don't know me can think what they like and most of the people who do know me already know what they are. I sometimes cover them up with my hand if I'm talking to my grandparents as I don't know whether they know.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 01:32 PM

I nearly always tend to cover my arms because I nearly always have fresh cuts and that is what I would hide from everyone as well as I could. I tend to hide my cuts/scars at school (unless it is extremely hot and I can't bear it) because the people at my school are clearly uneducated on the matter and make fun of me about it and it gives me panic attacks so I would rather not give myself all that bother. If I am at home I always have my arms covered because I do not want my family to see and know how much I harm myself. The only place I won't bother covering up is at sound minds, CAMHS or with my learning mentor because they are people who are nice and I trust them; I know they wouldnt think badly of me or make fun.

PM // VM

(#16 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 02:28 PM

I really only hide mine when I'm playing soccer, coaching soccer, or working. As none of them know about it, where as my parents sorta do, but I think they may have forgotten..

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Lil'OrphanAnnie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rose

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 02:47 PM

i try and hide my scars around my family. But other than that, i dont really bother to try and hide them.

The Unicorn
-The beautiful white horse with the magical horn that heals. <3

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 02:47 PM

I try and cover mine up as much as i can.
Most of mine are on my hips/thighs. I used to swim for county, until they changed the uniform which meant that all girls had to wear a high leg swimsuit in black and gold. Before that I wore a long suit which went down to my knees and no one asked questions. When I quit there was a massive scene which involved a screaming match between my coach and I as she thought I was "throwing my talent away" over something "stupid and useless". B*tch.
I also surf a lot and in the winter I can wear a long wetsuit but in the summer I only wear shorts and a rash vest which means my legs are visible. Most of the people who I spend a lot of time with know the drill and have already asked me about it and I've explained yadda yadda yadda... but around my parents I'll always cover up. If they come to the beach whilst I'm surfing I'll wear a winter suit etc.

I think its really inspiring the people who don't cover theirs up. Good for you, SH is nothing to be ashamed of. Its part of who we are and its up to us to be proud of the fact we're fighting it

That made no sense. ah well.

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#19 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 03:13 PM

Since they're barely visible no one would think they're there so I just go wristbandless at school but in the house I always wear them. Everyone in my family would have a breakdown if they found out.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 03:28 PM

I rarley cover my scars up anymore. They have faded a lot and unless your looking for them you wont know that their there.

When I used to cut I was covered all the time even when my parent found out. The only time I wouldnt be is when I was with my friends and they new about my fresh cuts I always hid them untill they found out I did it again or if I was alone in the house or sitting in my room. Except when I got really hot at school then id roll the up and put the bad side of my arm on the desk so nobody could see hopefully.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Star Crow Offline
Average Joe

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 03:31 PM

I don't hide my scars well. If it's hot I wear shorts and short sleaves. No one has asked me about them and sometimes I use cover up on my ankle, but thats only if I know theres going to be a serious risk of someone finding out.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 04:18 PM

I don't try hiding mine anymore. Actually, I think I'm now the only person who realizes that there are still scars there, even though it's pretty known that I stopped. I have a few bite marks on my wrists and I have a few cuts left that are scars but I'd prefer those stay there. They remind me why I stopped.
I just realized that my burn scars on the back of my hand are gone. o_O Wow, never knew that.
Almost forgot, while I was bad with cutting, I never really tried to hide my cutting after about a year or two. Actually, thinking back, I started in 7th grade, and really hid it back then. In 8th grade, I started caring less and only hiding new ones. Once I started high school, I didn't care and didn't even hide the new ones. Anyone who'd ask, I would tell them.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 04:37 PM

I hide fresh self harm marks. My old scars, I've had people straight up ask and I'm more than willing to tell them I quit six months ago. Funny how it's always six months ago though

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 08:27 PM

i put i did cover them up.
but it really depends.
if i'm with my mom, i will.
if i'm with my dad, i won't. he doesn't know i cut, but he's clueless and thinks i got sratched or something. idk.
with friends, i do, even though some know.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 10th 2009, 08:28 PM

I do and I dont. When with certain family members I cover up, but when Im at home or with certain friends I dont bother.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 06:47 PM

I used to always wear long sleeves and long pants...which was really werid because I hated long sleeve shirts so I don't know why anyone never suspected anything..when it was summer time I would wear arm band things to hid the cuts but when i was at the pool i couldnt really hide them...Now I don't hide them at all its been over two years since I last cut and there just scars now a lot of people know I used to cut and they don't ask about the scars I just catch most people stairing at them and not asking it doesn't really bother me...but if I ever started cutting again I defenitly would start hiding them again.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Raptor Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Raptor

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 07:41 PM

Most of mine are on my legs, so it's not really an issue for me. Although there are a few on my arms, but I don't cover them. Most have faded pretty well and I have tattoos on my arms which tends to draw eyes away from any thing I've done.
Raptor!

I'm making sense of shattered dreams
I want you to be proud of me.

Freedom can be frightning if you've never felt it.

Member since 2006.
Recovering self harmer - Last SH 24/08/09

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Faye

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 08:24 PM

I voted 'I always cover them up' but occasionally I don't bother, it depends who I'm with.
With my parents I'm super careful and always wear bracelets/long sleeves/cover up around them.
Generally around friends/at school I'm less careful and when I go around in public I don't really care. To be honest people never really notice them, I've walked around with fresh cuts on show and no one seemed to notice.

Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan

Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Christinaa317o8 Offline
Christina
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Christina

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 09:34 PM

I have four on my right arm, the side thats pale, the underneath part. Now that I got a tan during the summer, they're even more visible yet people don't seem to notice. Sometimes I think my friends catch a glimpse and stare, but they've never asked questions. Same with my mom.

I have some on my leg, and on vacation when walking around in my bathing suit, I'd purposely walk so that my hand shaded the scars, and when tanning, like laying out, I'd casualy happen to let the towel cover that area.

During school, when they were scabbed on my arm I wore long sleeves.

Love is all we need. :]
FORMER [HelpLinkMentor][LiveHelpOperator]
  Send a message via AIM to Christinaa317o8  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Chrissy2008 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Christina

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 10:48 PM

I don't hide mine anymore. It got to be to troublesome. To me the scars are like old battle wounds. Something that I can look back at, remember the bad times and appriciate all the good that's happening now. I do get questioned about it alot though. I simply tell people the truth. It also educates them a bit to know that Self Harm can happen to anyone at any time.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Chrissy2008  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
FFFRRREEEDDDOOOMMM
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adelaide

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 11:06 PM

I don't cover the old ones. If I happen to relapse one day and do more, I'd cover those until they were just scars, then I'd stop caring.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 11th 2009, 11:21 PM

I use to hide my scars when I went to a private catholic school. Now that I am going to college and don't have to worry what others think I don't bother with hiding them. If I am with someone who doesn't like my scars I usually just wear some bracelets. Other than that I don't care who sees.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 04:35 AM

I never really bother to cover up my scars anymore. It's only recently that I've started doing this though. When I first started college I'd always make sure that my arms were covered up, just incase someone would notice them and ask me questions. But to the end of it, I didn't really care too much anymore and let my arms be uncovered, I only had 2 people ask me about the scars but they were pretty alright about it. Plus the ones on my arms have faded quite a bit now, and most are white, you can't tell unless you properly look at my arms (apart from the one that goes all the way down my wrist, that's obvious)

The ones on my legs I try to hide more because there's so many of them, and they're quite deep. But I'm currently on holiday and managed to wear a bikini on a beach with my legs, stomach and arms showing. I can't be bothered to be all hot and sweaty for the sake of people staring and pointing. Nobody even looked at them anyways. I'm wearing shorts (they cover up most of them, apart from the newer ones near my knee) and I don't really care. I've gone past the point of caring at the moment.

I think that when I start college again in September I'll cover up my scars because it's not something I want for a first impression. Maybe when I've settled in a bit more I'll think about showing them.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 05:37 AM

I always try to cover mine. It makes me feel a little less insecure about them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 06:12 AM

I always cover mine up because there are many red, raised, wide, and long ones. I've been using bio-oil for awhile though and it seems to be working! If they go completely white like the rest I have then I won't worry about covering them anymore.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#36 (permalink)) Old
cOurtneyx1110 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 07:21 AM

i used to always cover my scars and was very ashamed of them until recently . though a lot of them have faded,the newer ones tend to leave a very nasty scar even if it's been months . i've come to terms w/them and just think of it as part of who i was or who i am . i'm not so much ashamed anymore because that was part of my life . recently one of my ex-bestfriends who i'm continuously getting into fights w/thought it was a good idea to tell me how "fucked up" i am saying i parade them like it's something to be proud of but that's not it at all . personally,she's the fucked up one for saying something like that . esp,from her,someone who has done it herself and who has an eating disorder . but in my opinion, i don't really see the reason to hid it anymore .

- tell them to look up ;
tell them to remember the stars **
~ rescue is possible <3

LASTSH_102709 . ..

(#37 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 04:08 PM

i used to worry about covering up my scars all the time,
but eventually i ended up not caring. its something i did and i have to live with it
no reason to hide it.
  Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 05:30 PM

i cover mine up, yesterday it was really hot and i was tralling round a zoo in the heat it was about 24 degrees centigrade yesterday and i was wearing long sleeves and jeans. i cover them up all the time.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
............... Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: .

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 06:45 PM

I Voted that i aways cover them up . especially when im around people . FOR A few weeks while i was in school i started this college course one day a week and we werent allowed long sleeves . It Was the most uncomfortable few days of my life. At first people Just Looked over at my arms. and this made me nervous but i was expecting it and then one of my friends from the course asked me if if i did them my self and i couldnt exctly denie it and she was asking about them but i just said to her that id tell her some other time but we never did . then i was paranoid for the next couple of times i was there that people felt uncomfortable and were talking about me but i think that was just in my mind . I Hate the idea of making other people uncomfortable by showing them but after a few weeks i worked up the courage to ask my tutor to if i could were long sleeves and she was really nice about it . But Apart from that no one else knows and i always hide them . thinking back i should of started on my leg now i just cut where ever . My Parents know but i still dont feel comfortable bareing my skin. the worst part about it is trying to get out of showing my arms during tasks at school and stuff like that . and the ones on my legts always stay covered but i dont like showing my legs any way even if they didnt have scars on

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Daina

Re: How many of you hide you scars or cuts? - August 12th 2009, 07:06 PM

I almost always hide them except when i go swimming make up and water don't mix to well
  Send a message via AIM to daina_aka_buffy_1989 Send a message via Yahoo to daina_aka_buffy_1989  
Closed Thread