TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
whosthatgirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Joanie

Is this normal - August 15th 2009, 07:00 AM

To not really know why your cutting yourself? It seems like these last few days I've just had a strong urge that came out of no where. I feel like I'm wanting to cut myself more and more.

Labyrinth <3
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Is this normal - August 15th 2009, 07:03 AM

I think it may be becoming more of an addiction for you instead of a coping mechanism. The best thing I've found to do when you want to self-harm simply for the sake of self-harming is distracting yourself. Surround yourself with friends, watch a favorite movie, talk to someone. Make yourself forget and I can guarantee you that in a few hours, you will look back and think, "Why in the world did I want to hurt myself?"
I'm always here if you want to message me when you're triggered. Stay strong!
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this normal - August 15th 2009, 08:11 AM

Hey there,

I have had this problem and I think it is normal. I think it might be because it is an addiction and your body is starting to 'crave' self-harm. It really does suck but you can make it through these 'cravings'.

One of the best ways to make it through is by using the alternatives (http://forums.teenhelp.org/f12-self-harm/t9418-alternatives-self-harm/). The alternatives work pretty great and they are fun to use. The one thing you should take into consideration is that your body has become used to relying on the self-harm so it might resist the alternatives at first. However, with time the alternatives should work so don't give up on them.

Another thing you could try is talking to someone. I know it is difficult to talk to people about the way you are feeling or the urges you are having but in the end talking is good medicine. And, if you are talking you are not cutting.

Talk to your parents, friends, or another trusted adult. If you don't have someone you can talk to in your real life then come onto teenhelp and log into the chat or pm one of the many staff members or another user. Another thing you could try is a hotline (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f3-general/t22-hotlines/) The people at the hotlines are very nice, caring and they can be very helpful so give it a try if you want.

I hope this helped and if you ever want to chat feel free to pm me.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread