TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Question Was it worth it..? - September 16th 2009, 01:24 AM

I self harm and various other things, and ive been seriously considering telling someone and getting help because even though i dont really want to stop because i like cutting myself i know its not good and i need stop or get help or something.I havent gathered the courage to tell anyone or been able to stop yet.so i was wondering if any of you who have told someone how did you do it..?and was it worth it to tell someone?was it worth to get help and stop self harming..?

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BadgerMilk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 16th 2009, 02:38 AM

Yes, it really was worth it to tell someone, maybe you don't have the intention to stop right now, but telling a very good friend can give you someone to talk to about these things, and when you decide to stop, having someone who already knows will really help. Good luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 16th 2009, 02:38 PM

Hey lil,

It definitely is worth it telling someone. You don't have to want to stop to tell someone; only you can decide when the right time to stop is. No one can make you stop self harming that is a decision you make for yourself. You are brave to even be thinking of telling someone about things. It will be a huge weight off you if you did tell someone about your self harm. You wouldn't have to keep it all to yourself anymore and hude the scars and pretend everything is ok. Also it might enable you to get some support with it.

It is definitely worth getting help to stop self harming. Once you get help things can begin to change and you can begin to put self harm in the past. If you got help then they would be able to look at alternative ways to cope instead of self harm. I think telling someone you have self harmed is the first step to recovery. Once you have taken that huge step things will begin to change. I think you are really brave and have got the strength to tell someone. It really will be worth it so I hope you do.

Stay strong

(#4 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 16th 2009, 07:32 PM

Hey Lil,

I agree with the others, it is really worth telling somebody about self harm. Talking to other people, especially trained professionals, can really help to make you feel better and figure things out. Like you said, self harm isn't good and can be dangerous because accidents can and do happen. Aside from that you don't need to harm yourself to cope with your feelings; there are other ways to deal with things.

Nobody can make you stop self harming if you don't want to but perhaps talking will help you work out what you want to do, if anything. You might find that if you tried to find others ways of coping instead of self harm that you don't want to or need to do it anymore. I know you said you don't have the courage right now but even though it is difficult and scary to admit something like this to somebody, it is well worth it. Once you have got the initial conversation over and done with it won't be so bad and you will be able to access the support you deserve.

I personally went to my doctor and told him about my self harm and asked for some help. I'm not going to deny that I was very anxious about it but when I was there it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I got referred into the mental health services which helped so in the end I was glad I got the courage to go and do something about it. If you want to talk, you can always PM/VM me and I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Take care
Jen

PM // VM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 16th 2009, 08:30 PM

Hi Lili,

I didn't necessarily reach out for help, 2 of my closest friends did back in 9th grade. They went to talk to the youth worker at our school, I ended up talking to him weekly. It did help for a while.

My personal views on getting help is that its a great thing, but for some people it may not work. It's a hit and miss type thing, it either helps, or it doesn't. Like the others have said, try talking to your doctor, or a close friend/family member. It's always worth a shot! You never know, it might help you in the future.

PM me anytime
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 16th 2009, 08:45 PM

Thank you guys i appreciate the advice i have a lot of thinking to do now.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 18th 2009, 12:52 AM

It's definitely worth it to talk to someone. If you work with them long enough, whether it's a friend, family member or therapist, you can really get some things solved and find a way to better handle your stress and triggers.
Plus, it makes you feel really amazing to get such a thing off your chest, so to speak, and to know that someone else really cares for you and can help carry the load a little. Go for it - don't be afraid to talk to someone. =]
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Finding-Hope Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cassie

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 18th 2009, 01:14 PM

Hey Lil,

It's great that you're considering telling someone about your self harm.

It is worth it to get help. Even though you're not ready to stop now, it can still be helpful to talk to someone like a psychologist to sort out what was causing the self harm in the first place. Maybe once you're worked through some of that stuff, you will feel more ready to try and recover.

Last year, after about four years of self harm I finally got help for myself. I went to the school counsellor, then a GP, who referred me to a psychiatrist and then a psychologist. Even though it's scary to get that help, you can do it because you deserve more than this.

Take care.

-Cassie

You never know how STRONG you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 20th 2009, 03:41 AM

Yes, it's worth it. I've told a few of my closest friends that I SH, and they've provided me with so much support. It was also a relief not to have to hide and lie anymore.
I also recently told my mother, and I think I'm well on the way to recovery.
So, even though it may not seem like it now, it's definitely the right thing to do.
Good luck.
*hugs*

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 23rd 2009, 12:55 AM

I agree with the others on this: reaching out is worth it, because even one or two people can have the strongest impact. My two best friends inspired me to give up self-injury, and I've been pretty clean for the past few months because of their support.

I'd advise talking to a friend that you know - or believe - will offer support and may not necessarily go to a trained professional right off the bat, unless your cutting is most obviously out of control. I'm not completely advising against professional help, because if you ARE self-injuring, a trained counselor can help SO much. But I found that it's easier to take baby steps, sometimes. Healing takes time.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM.
<3

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 23rd 2009, 01:56 AM

Hey Lil,

I too have to agree with the people who have posted above. Even though you may not think that you want to quit right now its really helpful to be able to have someone to talk to about this. I found that when I let things out and talked to people it was a huge relief to me. Simply having people who know what's going on in your life is a huge support. I found that talking and getting my feelings out really helped me realize why I self harmed in the first place and from there it was a lot easier to quit because I was able to talk things out and find other ways of coping with what was going on in my life.

Reaching out and asking for help or simply talking about it with people can be hard at first but it is definitely worth it in the long run.

I hope everything goes well for you. Also, if you ever need someone to talk to my inbox is always open so don't hesitate to send me a message <3 Take Care

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_mind Offline
counsellor @ positive mind
Average Joe

Name: chantel

Re: Was it worth it..? - September 23rd 2009, 04:11 AM

hey, i think its great you want to get help. letting people know that your struggling is hard but its worth letting people in. if you find it hard to talk maybe write everything down in a letter and give it to your mum. sometimes its easier to write things then to speak them. good luck and i am here if you need someone to talk to. because there is light at the end of the tunnel and you dont have to self harm. trust me.
  Send a message via MSN to Beautiful_mind Send a message via Yahoo to Beautiful_mind  
Closed Thread