TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gravestpulchra Offline
:( :) :?
Not a n00b

Name: Trina

Brothers a mess - February 26th 2011, 09:57 PM

I noticed a few days ago that my brother had cuts about an inch long on his left hand. I know that it is self inflicted because they are pretty deep. He has two inch long straight lines, and to more that are like a cross. I've asked him what happened to his hand right in front of my mum.. I don't know why.. and he said he 'Accidentally" stabbed himself with a pen. (No way, I think it looks more like a knife wound) My mum didn't even look at his hand, she's so oblivious.

My brother knows, that I know, that he did that to himself.. he also trust me to the fact that I wont tell anyone, along with the fact that he does drugs, and occasionally drinks ( and gets drunk usually). I do not think my mum knows any of this.

I do not know why I posted this, I guess I just wanted to tell somebody.

I have one question though; Isn't cutting your hands dangerous? Like the top of your hand... their are lots of vains. Could this eventually do something bad?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Brothers a mess - February 26th 2011, 10:34 PM

Hey, Trina, I'm sorry to hear that your brother's having such a hard time right now. To answer your question, cutting anywhere can be bad, especially if the wounds are deep.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Brothers a mess - February 27th 2011, 04:26 AM

It can be dangerous especially since cutting can become an addiction. I'd suggest that you, gently and tactfully, try talking to him about it since he knows you know. Ask him about it in a more forward manner thatt shows you realize it's self inflicted and definately best to make the conversation private. Just be there for him and although he may or may not receive it well (it depends on his personality) know that's the best thing you can do for him. Good luck with all this hon

Just Keep Breathing

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Brothers a mess - February 27th 2011, 04:38 AM

Hey Trina.

In a difficult position like yours, it's perfectly natural to want to talk to someone about it. It's great that you managed to reach out to us here, and that's a good first step.

Any kind of self harm is dangerous, and there's always the danger of something 'bad' happening. It doesn't sound fair for you to have to keep your brother's secrets like this, and if you're really worried for his safety, I'd urge you to talk to someone about it; your mother, for example.

I would recommend talking to him about this. Let him know that you're worried about him, and you want to help. He may react badly - he may not be expecting you to confront him about it - but he may also be grateful for the concern.

Good luck.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread