TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ajmurnane Offline
Ajmurnane
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Unhappy I'm panicking about going back to school, before the holidays my teachers found out i SH'ed - May 2nd 2011, 05:03 PM

I am worried about going to school tomorrow! They found out that i had been SH when my mum made me speak to them when she found out! And now i have to go back to school in the morning and think about it! and have them asking me questions, and they are making me see a coucellor or someone to talk about it, but i dont like talkiing about it! i havent even told my mum about it! she has taken things off me so i cant SH and now im panicking because im sad and scared and thats what i usually do when i get like this! I need a distraction and i need help on what i should say to the councellor im not very good at opening up! i havent even told my mum about it all yet! How can i distract myself and how can i prepare to speak to someone? please help before i go crazy!

Remember, you can never change the past, but you can learn to live with it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I'm panicking about going back to school, before the holidays my teachers found out i SH'ed - May 2nd 2011, 06:19 PM

Hey there.

I'm really sorry that things seem quite rough for you right now. You definitely deserve more than to feel this way.

Firstly maybe your mum taking your things which you use to self harm away from you could be a good thing. Admittedly it might mack you a big angry and annoyed but use it as a way which is going to help you to stop self harming.

As for distractions take a look at this list. Not everything on there will help you but there will be ones which do so it is all about trial and error. When you come across something which doesn't help, don't give up, keep on trying other things.

I think it's really good that people know about your self harm and that you are now getting support for this. Sometimes having someone there can really help us and I think you seeing your school counselor is a positive step in the right direction. Talking to someone about self harm can be really difficult because its a really personal think to have to talk about and it is a really sensitive subject. But that does not mean that you can't do it. You can talk to people it's just going to be hard, but you can do it. Even if that means you taking in art work to explain your thoughts and feelings or writing them a letter saying it instead oh psychically saying it, you can do it!

I hope this helps.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Henk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Henk

Re: I'm panicking about going back to school, before the holidays my teachers found out i SH'ed - May 2nd 2011, 06:51 PM

Talking about self-harm is very difficult, especially if it is your only 'escape' from some problems. Talking about it can be so hard if you are not ready for it, but it might lead to your recovery. Your mother and school are trying to help you and, while it might make you uncomfortable, it might be worth it to push yourself towards recovery.

Talking to your mother might make you feel uncomfortable about a subject this personal but it will be worth it. Therefore I think you should be as open and honest about your problems and feelings and get the support they are willing to offer. The fact that your mother confiscated some of the stuff you use might not have been the best approach to get you to stop, but you should see it as a sign that she cares about you and wants to help you. Distract yourself by doing things you love that are productive, giving you something to be proud of instead of coping that only works for a short amount of time. Another thing you can do when you feel like cutting is calling a friend or talking to your mother about it. It really helps a lot of people if they can get the feeling out in the open and get support and comfort from someone they trust. Talking to LiveHelp or Support and Advice in TeenHelp chat also work wonders for this.

If talking about it is still hard for you, why not take Jessie's suggestion and write a letter about it to them? It will let you get your point across and help you be more open about things.

Good luck!

Go ahead and tell me what my future looks like

Closed Thread