TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

AD(H)D diagnosis as an adult? - May 6th 2017, 02:23 PM

So long story short, I have been wanting to get tested for ADHD/ADD for 4 years now but my fatherapist put me doen so much that night I tried talking to him about it that I ended up stuttering so hard mixed with a panic attack and crying and shaking and he said he had to toughen me up for my own good. It was a very traumatic night for me 2/23/2013

Counselor have not taken me seriously in the past when I opened up to them about it becsuse thry say "but you did well in school" and that i do have good listening skills lol. Anyway I won't get into how no one took me seriously becsuse thst gets me emotional and worked up BUT I saw a new primary care doctor in April of thid year and I wanted to mention getting tested for ADD but i told myself I don't want to lead her, I want her to think of or herself. And she did! She referred me to a psychistrist to get tested for ADD and I couldn't go to that one becsuse he stopped practicing st the location that I called. But anyway fast forward again to my recent hospitalization becsuse of my depression and self harm. And my therapist tells me I need to see a psychiatrist ASAP. So I am able to book one quickly and the psychistrist decides to get me tested for ADD. I didn't mention it until he brought it up but all I said was that my primary care doctor wanted me to get tested for that too.

Then he asked me questions based on attention span or something and I failed I had a hard time repeating word for word what he said and I said I needed to write the math question down in order to answer it.

But I feel like there are times my attention or concentration is "impressive" and I'm told I am patient/a good listener once I am able to control my social anxiety/would make a good therapist but then I have this ADD thing going on as well.
I have been given mixed messages all my life. I am not consistent with my abilities. It is affecting me from understanding who i really am.
Also I didn't get diagnosed just yet. I am going back May 19th and the Dr will decide what meds to put me on. He said I will be tested for ADD and Depression. However I thought it was a fact that I'm depressed. Why is it a question I was diagnosed with major depression and I think my depression isn't always major but it is definitely *there* as well as multiple forms of anxiety

Anyone got diagnosed later in life (as a teen or adult) and can share, i experiences? I appreciate it!

Also how do I cope if the whole time I suspected ADD and it turns out I don't have it
I won't even know how to make sense of my childhood, except that I am a sensitive person and have ADD tendancies as well as sensory procesing disorder (kind of diagnosed but not sure how official it was) but not the actual ADD disorder

Or I can say that having lived in a dysfunctional environment for so so long that I have developed what looks like ADD but it is really a response to trauma. But personally I think one does not contradict the other and I can have childhood trauma and adverse experiences as well as ADD.

I am nervous

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: AD(H)D diagnosis as an adult? - May 6th 2017, 05:46 PM

Hey, been there, still dealing with it, not ADHD specifically, but adult diagnosis of anything life-long comes with a unique set of challenges. People always say the diagnosis doesn't change you, but I think in a way it definitely does. If you have it, you've always had it, but you start to reanalyze your entire life and figure out what was you, what was the disorder, what was both, and if it justifies some of what you've been through. Your trauma and negative experiences are valid, a disability doesn't make what you've been through "more okay" than it was before you knew you had it if that makes sense.

This shouldn't keep you from becoming a therapist if you want to be one. As far as I know, only people with spectrum disorders and similar things like mine run the risk of being forced out of it. I suppose it's always a possiblity, but don't let the fear stop you from trying.

You can have a diagnosis and not have "classic" or stereotypical symptoms and sometimes when a diagnosis like this is added, they like to retest you for one's you already have because symptoms can overlap and different disorders can mimic or hide each other. It's possible to have both, but they don't want to label you with extra things if they don't have to.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: AD(H)D diagnosis as an adult? - May 6th 2017, 07:32 PM

I was diagnosed with ADHD in high school. I was always able to hide my symptoms and issues in school and always got above average grades and when I hit high school, it became clear I was suffering. This link is also something to look at as it differentiates between different "types" in a way (I fit under the last one as well as the first one). From what I've read, ADHD symptoms are much easier to be noticed in boys than they are in girls. You can read more about the differences and why that is in this link as an example.
You could also check out this link to read about the challenges and such.

I also know of people who were diagnoesed in university as well as later in life (late 20's)!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: AD(H)D diagnosis as an adult? - May 9th 2017, 05:51 AM

Hey
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I turned 18. It really hasn't made that a big change in my life, other than knowing my jitteriness and lack of focus isn't my fault.
Also, people with ADHD (me included) sometimes have hyper focus for short bursts. I have them every now and then, where nothing can distract me and then its done.
And even if ADD isn't diagnosed, you could have an attention disorder. And you can always look into ways of working with it.
Really, dont worry, the testing process (for me) just involved me talking to a psychiatrist and telling him what I'd seen. So, dont worry.
All the best, feel free to message if you wanna talk!

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: AD(H)D diagnosis as an adult? - May 19th 2017, 10:45 PM

Thank you all of you. Things kind of switched around. He didn't end up testing me. So the diagnosis is inconclusive. This thread can be closed.

Closed Thread