TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astar Offline
Not a n00b

What do you think? - October 5th 2019, 07:24 PM

For a while Iíve been noticing more and more than Iím unlike other 20 year olds- or people similar to my age. Iíve always struggled with anxiety but now itís more that I donít know how to have a conversation. I canít seem to work out when itís my turn to speak and talk over them. I have always been obsessed with several different things and this again has gotten more and more, to the point I cannot talk about anything else and if Iím not taking part in one of my obsessions I canít focus on anything until I can do it again. There are other things as well- not knowing how to react when others are upset, struggling to keep still for long periods of time, constantly moving and feeling unable to deal with emotions. I self harm over very small problems, especially if they affect my routine or plans. I find making friends very difficult and spend most of my time online or reading. Most of my close friends are on the autistic spectrum. Sometimes I think I am to... I donít know. I work at a childrenís youth club for children with ASD and have found that I get on better with the kids than I do with the mainstream staff.

I can do it and I can get through it. So can you xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What do you think? - October 6th 2019, 10:09 PM

Hey there,

I'm actually in a similar position myself so I understand your thought process and wondering whether you might be on the autism spectrum.

We can't diagnose or say for sure whether you are on the autism spectrum as we aren't professionals. That said, the things you have mentioned (not knowing how to have a conversation, not knowing when to take turns speaking, obsessions and only wanting to talk about obsessions and finding friendships difficult) are characteristic of the autism spectrum. That said, there could be other factors such as anxiety disorders, OCD, ADHD/ADD etc.

If you've found yourself relating better to those with autism and have noticed traits in yourself. that is also another a possibility. The same can be said for if you have family members on the spectrum (since it tends to run in families) and if you can trace back these difficulties to early childhood (as in you've always been this way).

Have you thought about pursuing a professional diagnosis? Autism in girls is often missed in childhood and it's very common for women to wonder whether they might be on the spectrum later on in life. It's also under diagnosed compared to boys so it's possible that you could have autism and not had it picked up during childhood. If you do want to persue a professional diagnosis, be sure to mention to your GP that you want to be referred for an autism assessment. Not all mental health professionals have understanding of autism so it's good to get referred to someone who does (since autism can be misdiagnosed as some mental illnesses).

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Echo 7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do you think? - October 8th 2019, 05:03 PM

I used to be in a similar position, but I did go and see my doctor to get help with some nagging anxiety. Do you think this is something you could do? Doctors are remarkably non judgemental and are quite understanding even about self-injuring, and they could refer you to a counsellor if you ask.

If you're shy, jot down a few things as a memory jog to ask. I am sure your GP will help you, if you just let them.

There is a place my GP recommended called Health in Mind. During my time of crisis they were very good to me.

The strongest steel is forged in fire.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: What do you think? - October 8th 2019, 07:01 PM

Hello,

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now and hope that you will be okay soon. Would you be able to try talking to someone about this and what you are going through and see what kind of help they can give you so that you are not just keeping it to yourself. For example a doctor or therapist and let them know what is going on with you and see what they can do to help you and hopefully you will be okay soon. I found this website and maybe it can help you out sometime, if you would like to take a look at it when you have time. It's, https://www.healthline.com/health/me...e-with-anxiety

When you are having a hard time try to find something to get you're mind off of this. For example calling someone a friend or family member or going for a walk or putting on music or a funny TV show or TV show or reading or drawing or writing or something else that you enjoy doing to help you out with this for a while.

You we're talking about how you are okay with talking with children, and that can be fun to do. Maybe this is something that you would like to go into. I wish you the best with everything. Hope you will be okay soon.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life. Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Echo 7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do you think? - October 11th 2019, 12:55 PM

My partner has just given me a book she'd been reading called The Worry Trick: How Your Brain Tricks You into Expecting the Worst and What You Can Do About It by David A Carbonell PhD.

I'm several chapters in now and though I'm mainly a worrier, Carbonnell's book has been brilliant. Stupid of me for not mentioning it in my previous post. You can download the book onto an ebook reader, or your phone, but it also comes free as an Audiobook. It really is worth the £8 she paid, and not many self-help books have been as useful as this.

In closing I just want to ask, but have you talked to your GP about this? Doctors are marvellous helpers and great listeners, so if you can, make a double appointment and jot down some notes on your condition. Acts as a memory jog, it's useful.

I wish you all the best.

The strongest steel is forged in fire.

Closed Thread