TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Winter

Life with possibly Tourettes - March 6th 2010, 12:19 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of peer pressure or bullying, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My names Winter, im 13, and i may have tourettes which has bene going on for over 10 months now.

I just wanna say that living with tourettes is frustrating, heart breaking, and it just tears your life into something else way more stressful than before. I get bullied a lot from my friends. which i am now known for twitching and saying and screaming things in front of people. i am very glad that i have not become a loner and people do like me still. but i get bullied a lot, and what kids dont understand is that should try hard to not laugh at them! or make fun of them or jokes about them that everyone starts doing too! What they dont understand is that im in a lot of physical pain every day of my life. and im not saying annoying little pains from my twitches. no, it is TOATAL AGONY TO WHERE IM TRYING NOT TO CRY. thats how bad it hurts. it is also very hard to dance, sing, or even walk or talk at times. but i am working on that to try to possibly end these habits.
I feel when i avoid them though then i cant function in the day. so i have to let them out in order to get on with my day becuz my body is not used to not twitching i guess since it has bene going on for so long.
my friends copy everything i do right after i do them. which hurts my feelings very badly,

all im saying is is that i want you to know that you need to be as nice as possibly to people with tourettes and habits becuz laughing at them and copying stuff they do and making jokes about em doesnt help whatsoever. it just makes it worse for them and may cause them to do it even more which my mean they are in more pain then they wud be if you didnt tease them. you need to support them, research on it, becuz they need you as a friend. and right now i dont have many friends that do support me and dont laugh at me and makes jokes about me.

just be nice?

dont destroy and hurt theyre feelings more.

-winter <3

Met you from a tie between u and me buddy,
Saw you from my wired eyes with a twisted little lie, and my mind told me negative when i had a wish to own you with my heart, buddy and you split like twigs, senses told her i fell for him, and she told me "i loved him, and go get him" And while i said "negative he said "correct" <3

Me and ? = 3 days which =correct

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Life with possibly Tourettes - March 7th 2010, 12:44 PM

Hey there,

Firstly, your thread reminded me of this here thread, you might want to take a look. http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-...ttes-syndrome/

The thing with disabilities is that people find it impossible to understand what you are going through because they have never been in your situation themselves. When people have little understanding for a disability they are more likely to copy you, or take the mick out of you, not necessarily out of cruelty, purely because they do not understand the syndrome. It would seem that there is very little publicity or information about the syndrome, which only makes it harder for people do build up understanding, and support you further in dealing with your difficulties. The more that you tell people about the tics, how painful it is, and the bullying that you have had as a consequence of it, the more that people will understand.

Admittedly, Tourettes syndrome must be very difficult to live with. As you have said, it is painful to deal with. Do you have therapy at all? It would be beneficial for you to speak to people about the bullying, and how you are struggling. Trying to keep yourself active, whether through sports or other activities is said to help remove your focus from the tics and onto something more constructive. Whether or not you get diagnosed with Tourettes this sounds like a very difficult thing for you to deal with.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Take care.
Marie.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
occcoolboy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Life with possibly Tourettes - March 12th 2010, 03:33 AM

the only reason why that people and friends are making fun of you is that they don't know what kind of pain your in right now. if they keep on bothering or making jokes about you, then ignore them. try to make new friends. i know that in many local areas, there tourettes are support groups. since i suffer from epilepsy, i've met others of my age who suffer from epilepsy as well. try to search if there is a support group for people who have and you can make friends with people who know what pain you go into. so try to find others who suffer from what you suffer. good luck and wishes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Name: Nameless

Re: Life with possibly Tourettes - March 12th 2010, 07:03 PM

Get a voice recorder, if you have an mp3 player or ipod or something similar and record them making fun of you.

Go to a psychiatrist, or your doctor and tell them what they are doing. Because that is abuse, and you can use it as evidence.
I would make reports to people like the kids-help line, or even the police for abuse. Some might say its a bit far to do, but their parents need to be taught how to educate their kids to not make insults to people who have disabilities.

I understand thats a lot to do at 13, but it will benefit you in the end and make you a stronger person knowing you took action.

You can find people you can trust, it will take time but it will come eventually. I was a victim of abuse like you but for different reasons. If only I knew that I could take legal action against abusers even at such a young age I would of been in a safer environment and I wouldn't of had to put up with nonsense from people.

Closed Thread