TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Unhappy Team Emily - August 19th 2010, 12:00 PM

I have never realized how much a life could be impacted by a muscular dystrophy until I met a girl who has to deal with it every day. One of my best friends has a muscular dystrophy that doesn't allow her full control of her joints. By the time she'll be forty-five, she will have lost complete motion in her arms and in her legs. A cure isn't going to come out until she is about sixty.
Emily has told me about her friends that she has met at the MDA(Muscular Dystrophy Association) camp, and I want to do all that I can to help make these kids' lives better.
A girl that I go to school with, who I have always just passed off as a brat, isn't going to be able to walk in less then a year. Kelly and I hung out when we were little, then she started acting like a brat to me. Now she is in consent pain, and is in a wheelchair, as she will be for the rest of her life. She has two little sisters, and a little brother. She knows that there is a very likely chance that they also have this muscular dystrophy. How can you stay mad when you have that knowledge?
All these kids that Emily has told me about have made me realize how lucky my family and I are that we haven't had to deal with any of this first hand. Emily is extremely lucky that she will be able to walk until she is in her mid-forties. Most of the kids at the MDA camp were in wheelchairs.
Always remember how lucky you are if you don't have anything like this in your life. It destroys the lives of so many.

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jenny233 Offline
smile
Not a n00b

Name: Jenny

Re: Team Emily - August 19th 2010, 09:55 PM

It is good to hear some one cares. When you are told that in a few years your not going to be able to walk. You get angry and lash out at those people you know care. It is good that you under stand that it is difficult and know that you are lucky to not have to worry about loosing your legs

Wish

Send a message via MSN to jenny233  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Team Emily - August 20th 2010, 04:01 PM

Hey there,

This thread really made me smile! It's nice to see people say how lucky they are and actually take the time to learn about different conditions. It's pretty amazing that you want to help to improve the children's quality of life. However, people don't always understand. Why? Because they have never had to go through anything that those with muscular dystrophy have, and unless they actually suffer it themselves most likely they will never fully understand.

Don't hesitate to message me if you ever want to talk.
Marie.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Susurrous Offline
Just wandering...
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Drew

Re: Team Emily - August 21st 2010, 03:35 AM

Well thank you so much. This story means a lot.

We hear so much tragic news filtered through our televisions, but what we miss out on are the precious gems of our society. Like a muscular dystrophy camp...that sounds nothing short of incredible. It's an amazing concept that a person will always have a supporter somewhere in this world...

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Team Emily - August 21st 2010, 01:58 PM

I think it's great to see this post, it shows people care about others with MD. Though I don't know anyone with MD or have it, I still feel compassion for those people and i think it's great to see that there is a place where they can connect and help each other out..

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
amandajustine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: amanda

Re: Team Emily - August 21st 2010, 02:40 PM

that is a really good story it says alot about ur heart and what u care about and want to learn more about that is really touching story and it makes u realize that u shouldnt be so uptight about people when u dont know what is going on in there lives
  Send a message via AIM to amandajustine Send a message via MSN to amandajustine Send a message via Yahoo to amandajustine Send a message via Skype™ to amandajustine 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Team Emily - August 21st 2010, 02:56 PM

They are lucky to have this strain of Muscular Dystrophy. Trust me.

My little brother has the most sever strain, Duchenne, and has been in a wheelchair full time since he was 12. And now cannot lift his arms, his mobility is seriously deterioting and has done rapidly in the past few year, it has also gave him a lot of learning difficulties, so sometime it is like talking to a 5 year old, sometimes not. He is lucky in a way, since he is 18 and reasonably healthy for someone with this condition at his age. I know that another boy in dundee (where i'm from) that had the condition passed away this January, aged 21, and two boys from Arbroath 17 & 19, passed away this year also. This strain normally only effects boys and most dont make it past their mid twenties.

As for the likely chance of them having it, there are genetics tests to see if they have it or not. I know that I'm not a carrier as I had tests done when I was 6 years old, although they aren't meant to do them till "I" ask at 16 or over. My parents werent happy with this decision and said they're rather know the answer for when I ask them.

What strain does this person have? Sorry I'm just curious.

Your friend is lucky in a way.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Team Emily - August 24th 2010, 05:41 PM

Does anyone else know anyone with this disorder, sorry I know its not my thread but I'm intrigued and have made posts about this before the reset a long time ago.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Team Emily - August 24th 2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post

What strain does this person have? Sorry I'm just curious.

Your friend is lucky in a way.
She's told me before, but I can't remember the name. It's something long and smart sounding.

I'm so sorry about your brother.

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Team Emily - August 24th 2010, 09:41 PM

Thanks