TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gorodetsky Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kirk

Helping someone with Dyslexia - February 25th 2011, 03:35 PM

I wasnt sure whether to put this is disability or education so if anyone thinks i should move this let me know.

Well before my boyfriend was my boyfriend i told him that i was lookng for a guy who cares as much about books and reading as i do (its like dancing for a ballerina to me) along with other things such as no drug use, maturity etc

so now hes super mature, doesnt take drugs and is my boyfriend but last night he said he wanted to start reading and enjoying it so we could share something i love so much but he is dyslexic and finds its difficult to read or enjoy it. Sometimes i mix up words and i cant spell at all and that is endlessly frustraiting so i cant even imagine how frustraiting it may get for him. Is there anything i can do to help him I was thinking comics (another love) or something rather than a thick tiny font novel. Does anyone have any ideas or tips that i could use to help him a bit? He has his heart set on this so any help at all would be appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Helping someone with Dyslexia - February 25th 2011, 06:59 PM

Heyy.
one of my close friends also has dyslexia, and has problems spelling and reading. but she now has a pair of glasses that have coloured lenses.
Does your boyfriend have problems with actual reading or just managing to see the words properly on the page? what i mean is, when he sees the letters do they like, move around or something. i watched a show on dyslexia, and these glasses show things in the colour that the lenses are tinted; it's meant to stop the words from seemingly dance around the page.
so if it's that, maybe you could talk to an optition, i think that's where you can get ones like it. I'm not entirely sure, but it's something you can look into.
hope i helped a bit.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Helping someone with Dyslexia - February 25th 2011, 09:39 PM

Dyslexia is a description of syndromes because there are about 6 or more types of dyslexia. Depending on the type, his impairments will be for different things and of different severities all of which affect the treatment. You could try asking him the type of dyslexia he is diagnosed with (no self-diagnoses) and look that type up. If he doesn't know the type he has, ideally he should ask his parents or doctor but you could attempt to find out the type he has yourself. You'll need to know exactly what it is he experiences when reading and if there are other language and non-language related issues as well.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
luqmanmichel Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Luqman Michel

Re: Helping someone with Dyslexia - March 1st 2011, 10:19 PM

[quote=Gorodetsky;591377]I wasnt sure whether to put this is disability or education so if anyone thinks i should move this let me know.

I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding about dyslexia. I have been teaching dyslexic children for 6 years and not one of my students have words running about. I have an article on Irlen syndrome in my blog which explains this condition. However, this should not be classified under dyslexia.

Dyslexics find it difficult to read only because English is an orthographically inconsistent language. My dyslexic students read fluently in Malay and Romanized Mandarin which use the same 26 alphabets as does the English language.

Encourage your boy friend to just look at what you read while you read to him. You may also look at the lessons in my blog specifically written for dyslexics. I am not allowed to post the url here but you may get to it by typing my name in FB and going from there.
Luqman Michel

Closed Thread