TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Fibromyalgia. - March 6th 2011, 12:49 AM

FMS (Fibromyalgia Syndrome) is an arthritic illness, causing widespread aches and pains, chronic headaches, muscle stiffness, and chronic fatigue. FMS is also linked to Major Depressive Disorder and anxiety.

My mother was diagnosed with this when I was an infant, and I have always known her to, often, be too exhausted to do things that seemed simple to me, like shopping at the mall. Now, I am SO worried that I might have it, too.

I've always had trouble with aches and pains. It feels like I was the only seven-year-old in the world to complain of migraines and stiff shoulders. Still, it wasn't much of an issue...at least, not until I was about fourteen.

I began treatment for chronic migraines when I was fourteen, after seeing a neurologist and having an Occipital Nerve Block treatment (I also had nerve pain at the base of my skull). I still get frequent headaches, but not nearly as bad as before. If I miss my medication, however, I'm pretty much useless...my migraines include a pounding headache, as well as nausea and dizziness.

When I was fifteen, I started psychotherapy and began taking anti-depressants...I was diagnosed with major depression. I still struggle to this day, but my medication has seemed to be my saving grace.

Over the past few months, my general stiff shoulders and aches and pains have gotten WAY out of hand. I constantly struggle at work, because my job requires a lot of bending over/crouching down, which almost always causes muscle cramps and soreness in my legs. When I'm not at school or working, I sleep. I go to bed early and, when I can, sleep in late.

It feels like my whole body hurts CONSTANTLY, and I swear I'm about to snap. I can't even do the things I WANT to do any more...when I was at the mall with my boyfriend the other day, I almost broke down crying because my feet and legs were hurting so bad from walking around.

I don't know what to do. I know I need to go to the doctor, but I'm scared of what they will say. My Medicaid will be cut off in about two years, I can't afford to take many more medications or go to the doctor more than I already do...

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Fibromyalgia. - March 6th 2011, 04:07 AM

My mom has Fibromyalgia.She's been trying for years to find something that works.Last summer she tried Lyrica and though she needed a higher dose she felt so much better and I even noticed a difference in her activity level and her overall mood (unfortunatly it was too expensive to continue).

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

Closed Thread