TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

I donít enjoy anything anymore except for video games. - June 3rd 2018, 06:38 AM

Hey all,

Iím almost 30 years old and am obsessed with video games. It gets in the way of my personal life, and I feel stressed and anxious when I canít play. I dread any obligations to do anything else because all I want to do is play them.

Iíve played games since before I could talk in complete sentences. However, I got into hardcore gaming (12+ hours a day) when I was 15 because I broke my arm and couldnít do anything else. Since then I still spend 8+ hours a day gaming. And I feel like I never have the time I want to play.

The thing is, I used to enjoy other things. I used to like going out, hiking, riding my bike, hanging out, swimming, etc. but not anymore. I donít like anything but games. I want this to stop but donít really know where to start. Have any of you been successful stopping gaming?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: I donít enjoy anything anymore except for video games. - June 3rd 2018, 02:04 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are going through a hard time with this right now and I hope that you will be okay soon. When you start off having fun doing anything and then you feel as you have to keep doing this all of the time it is not a good feeling to have. And I am sorry that you are going through that. Can you try and limit yourself and play so long in a day? You can set a timer and then when the timer is up you have to stop playing. And then when you're time is up try getting out of the house and doing something. Going for a walk or bike ride or going to see some friends or going to get lunch or coffee or ask someone if they would like to do something with you, a family member or a friend to help get you're mind off of playing games all the time.
You can also Google therapist or a counselor and see if you can talk to somebody about playing games all the time and see what they can do for you. I hope that you will be okay soon.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life. Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I donít enjoy anything anymore except for video games. - June 3rd 2018, 04:52 PM

Hey Michael,

Sorry to hear you are struggling. As it's been said, video games can be fun but when it takes over your life, it can become unhealthy. While I haven't been in your position, I do believe that it is easy to become 'addicted' to playing video games.

Sometimes unhealthy habits like addictions can start as a way of escaping reality, and it seems like for you this started many years ago when you broke your arm and weren't able to do the things you used to enjoy. Playing video games would fill that void because they are enjoyable and keep you occupied. So it makes sense that even when your arm was healed, you would still continue to play and enjoy video games.

I agree with the above poster in slowly reducing the amount of time you play. Even if you start off with just 5 minutes less for a week, and then another 5 or 10 minutes less the following week etc. There's no harm in continuing to play video games, but it shouldn't rule your life. Balance is key. When you find yourself with more time, how would you feel about going out and doing the things you used to enjoy? It might feel strange at first and you may find yourself wishing you were back home playing a video game, but if you find something you like doing, you'll still get the enjoyment from it. It's good to take a look at your life overall and see whether you are missing anything...sometimes we don't necessarily need to play video games to escape reality but more because they can give us things that we might be missing in our lives.

If you are struggling with this, you can always reach out to professionals such as counsellors. Even though video game addiction isn't widely recognised, counsellors and other mental health professionals should be able to help you

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread