TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

im addcited to the internet - December 19th 2009, 08:58 PM

the title say it all really, i am addicted to the internet my parents want me to limit my internet use.and i try and i can't they are now making me after tommrow go all day each sunday with no internet. problem is the internet will be on and my sisters will be using the internet, so its gona be even harder i asked them to make it easier for me on sundays can everyone have a no internet day, and they both said no, they know im addicted, but they won't help me i have no other hobby, so when im not online i watch tv or play ps2 and they don't like that either. if the internets on i am going to use it, and will use it, if its turned off on a sunday i can't use it, as its turned off and i wont be tempted to use it as i know its off. the thing is they don't understand, the thought of after tommrow not being aloud online on sundays when my sisters are allowed online on sundays is making me want to cry. is there a way i can make my parents listen and understand how badly i am addicted to the internet ? im dreading next sunday already im scared i wont survive, im scared i will screw up. i don't think i can do a day without internet, on holiday its fine as im doing other things, but where i live theres nothing else, the snow is boring wehn im on my own, my friends are all busy. i have no money, and i just don't know what to do ? any ideas ? how can i make them listen and understand that if my sisters are using internet on sunday its gona tempt me to use it and that i will use it if its on how can i make them listen and understand ?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dang, its me Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Darryl

Re: im addcited to the internet - December 20th 2009, 02:51 PM

Have you tried talking to them by comparing your internet addiction to other types(eg alcohol, smoking, etc...)? Where all temptaions are removed in the beginng. Hey, the smokers have the patch, so your "patch" could be playing ps2 or watching tv.

Personally, I think your parents are being too harsh. If they would not turn it off, then they should at least allow a time limit for you for sunday.

Hope things work out for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: im addcited to the internet - December 20th 2009, 05:25 PM

they are letting me have tv, and ps2 ect, its just the internet, because they think being in front of a screen on a computer is not doing me any good, but the thing is a screen is a screen so if they think it not doing me no good then why still let me have tv and ps2 ? they have let me have two hours today, my mum said you need to learn to limit yourself then you can have it back, but i don't know. the internet is my way of coping it keeps me sane, take it away and i have no way of coping. the site and the internet really does keep me sane my parents know internet keeps me sane, but still insist on me not using it on sundays. i have tried talking to them but it just ends in an argument.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: im addcited to the internet - December 21st 2009, 04:21 AM

Hey. I can understand that the internet is a bit of a comfort for you, and I find myself in a similar situation as well. If you truly want to find other things to do besides spend time online, then I think this bit of "Internet Rehab Sunday" is a good option for you. I think that the point your parents are trying to prove is that there are other things to do besides spend time online - maybe even other ways to comfort yourself when you're feeling down.

Maybe Sunday could be the day of the week you spend with friends? Call someone up you would be willing to hang out with. Go to the movies, the bookstore, the mall, etc. Anything that you can think of. Go out for lunch or dinner with your family or a friend. Go to the video store and rent some moves. Journal, write down anything that comes to mind. Try to entertain yourself in different ways besides using the internet is basically what I am trying to say.

Instead of looking at these days as torment, look at them as days to discover new activities you enjoy. Maybe you'll find something you enjoy just as much as the computer, if not more. Be creative, make a list of things that you can do on Sundays rather than be online. Don't dwell on the fact that you're missing the internet. Instead, embrace the fact that you are trying something new with your life. I'm sure this will bring you more good than bad, even if it's a challenge.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: im addcited to the internet - December 21st 2009, 11:04 AM

i no, but its gona be hard as my sisters will still be allowed to use internet so internet is on i jsut am not allowed to use it. i said can't sunday be a no internet day for everyone and they said no. i know they are trying to help me but i feel as though they arent as leaving it on is only going to tempt me to use it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: im addcited to the internet - December 22nd 2009, 12:28 AM

Honestly we all come on the internet to relax..what your parents are doing is harsh.

They should allow you a time to be on on Sunday. Still ps2, TV, etc is just as good imo
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
chrissy2009 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Chrissy

Re: im addcited to the internet - December 29th 2009, 11:05 PM

i think im addicted to the internet too. a day without it is like a couple days with a cigarette for me. i come online to play game an talk to friends to keep my mind off of other things but i dont always have access to a computer. an it drives me up the wall cause i have nothing else to do where i live. just the computer.
your parents should be a little more leanant

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: im addcited to the internet - January 3rd 2010, 09:47 PM

I think after you get passed the first sunday, it will get easier. after all, its only one day. call up some friends, read a book, draw a picture, take pictures, just figure out something to pass the time and it'll get easier.

Closed Thread