TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rawr?
Not a n00b

Name: Molly
Location: In the mooshiest, gooshiest, bloodiest part of your heart <3

Facebook. - July 23rd 2010, 04:12 AM

I really need to stop facebooking. I don't want to totally delete my entire account, because it's how I keep in touch with my friends I don't really talk to anymore and they don't have cell phones, they barely check their emails, etc. So I kinda just want to go on it less I guess. It triggers me a lot. When I see everyone's statuses about how they're at some awesome party without me, or pictures with all my friends in them, and all the other stuff like that it just kills me. But I've become obsessed with making it perfect and making it look like I have something even remotely close to a life. I send random friend requests to people I've never met in my life because I want to be like those people with a gajillion billion friends. But that doesn't really work well :/ . I also am an extreme facebook stalker. If someone broke up, went on vacation, or even just changed their facebook profile picture, or got a lot of friends, I know. I would do that thing where someone changes my password so I don't know it, but I'm emberassed :/ Plus I still want to be able to go on every once in a while, I just don't want to go on fifty billion times a day and facebook stalk every single person. I just want to be one of those people I talk to who are like, "Oh, Facebook? Phhh, I never go on there. I haven't checked it in like, five days. Have you been on?" Uh.. Fuck.

I
Am
Bisexual
And
Proud
And I don't know what to say here but I need to say something so it's purple and I can finish the rainbow

I haven't cut or self-harmed in any other way since June 15, 2010!

We won't stop until somebody calls the cops and even then, we'll start again and pretend that nothing ever happened. We're just dancing, we're just hugging, screaming, kissing, tugging, on the sleeve of how it used to be. Kimya Dawson

Hey, you should just PM me because you're BEAUTIFUL!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Facebook. - July 23rd 2010, 07:09 AM

If you don't want to delete your FB account,maybe you can temporarily deactivate it. And maybe you can cut off the amount of time you spend on the internet.

I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  Send a message via MSN to Arie.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Facebook. - July 23rd 2010, 01:37 PM

ok the best way to do this is to, Go Out, thats really it, If you just leave the computer and do stuff with your friends, or meet new people, go see a movie, ect.., youll not do it as much and be like one of those people that dont really care about facebook,

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Facebook. - July 23rd 2010, 01:54 PM

You say you hate seeing people at parties and stuff...Why don't you stop spending all your time pretending to do these things and actually go out and do them? It will be good for you.

I suggest you clean up your facebook friends, and only have the ones you actually know on there. If I see someone has over 800 friends then I know they've just been adding randomers for the sake of numbers, which is just sad. I make a point of only accepting friend requests from people I know and trust, because a lot about my life is on facebook so I don't want any randomers on there.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Facebook. - July 23rd 2010, 05:54 PM

I'd never add people I don't know at all on Facebook. I never use my Facebook account anymore nowadays because it got boring quick and everyone I know gets on it just for Farmville. ;/
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Facebook. - July 23rd 2010, 08:31 PM

I tried to cut down my time on facebook too. I did the following things:

1) Cut down your friends list to only people you want to keep in touch with. Delete people you don't know and ones you vaguely know. This gives you less to look through on your updates, and less people to stalk.

2) After that, when someone's status comes up who you aren't too bothered about, or who update constantly, press "Hide" next to their name and it'll stop their posts showing on your home page. Again, less to look through, and less time on there.

3) Hide or block applications. Stops you being tempted to play them and they're very addictive.

Hope this helps.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Facebook. - July 24th 2010, 07:56 AM

Fun fact: If facebook was it's own country, it would be the third largest in the world after China and India

Not really related, but shows how many people would probably be addicted

(#8 (permalink)) Old
chelsealyn3994 Offline
Hakuna Matata (:
Not a n00b

Name: Chelsea

Re: Facebook. - July 27th 2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I'd never add people I don't know at all on Facebook. I never use my Facebook account anymore nowadays because it got boring quick and everyone I know gets on it just for Farmville. ;/
I'm obsessed with Farmville! (:

Never regret anything because at one time, it's exactly what you wanted. PM me. (:

Part of the Big Brother Big Sister program since 7/14/2010.
Be a friend. Be a mentor. Just be there.
  Send a message via AIM to chelsealyn3994  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Facebook. - July 27th 2010, 06:41 AM

Its kind of like looking for food to eat when you have nothing to do. Find an activity that satisfies you. Something you are good at. When we successfully complete a task to our choice of finnishedness we get good feeling chemicals. Do something that makes you happy and feel good. For example I do art. I am good at art and have always been drawn to it and done it my whole life. So when I do it and finish pieces and am constantly improving it makes me feel good. Plus it will get rid of that boredom and overwhelming anxiety to find something to do that leads to overwhelming facebook lurking. Also exercise is great, I saw that you were a person who used to self harm and recently stopped. I applaud you and, one healthy way to combat those feelings is exercise. Exercise is another thing that releases happy chemicals.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Facebook. - July 27th 2010, 04:56 PM

I like playing the facebook games: FarmTown, Frontierville, and Farmville.
I have like 800 friends because I need neighbors for the games.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
Closed Thread