TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kuyamzoleta Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Addicted to Video games - October 19th 2010, 04:15 AM

As a junior in highschool, this is my most important year to get on top of all my classes. Unfortunately I BELIEVE I'm addicted to video games. I just barely passed my quarter exams and I feel like video games gets in the way of homework, school, and my friends that care about me. How do I stop this addiction when that's all I go home too everyday? It's my way of venting all the stress, and finding out I just got shitty grades on my exams just made matters worse. What do I turn too?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 19th 2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuyamzoleta View Post
As a junior in highschool, this is my most important year to get on top of all my classes. Unfortunately I BELIEVE I'm addicted to video games. I just barely passed my quarter exams and I feel like video games gets in the way of homework, school, and my friends that care about me. How do I stop this addiction when that's all I go home too everyday? It's my way of venting all the stress, and finding out I just got shitty grades on my exams just made matters worse. What do I turn too?
Hey bro, you're not alone, I am in the EXACT same situation as you. What I recommend is that you put you're PC monitor/power cord if it's a console in the closet. Then it's much harder to kinda "play a round" because it requires actually setting it up again, therefore being more work. Do your homework right when you get home, and then take out your games.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 19th 2010, 08:48 AM

You could remove the power cable so that you'll have to put more work in the play the game, but I'd be too lazy in the first place =p
What I findn works is doing your homework in another room where there are less distractions.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 20th 2010, 09:26 AM

haha lets see if I can find my video game addiction thread somewhere on here

It was full of ideas to get over it

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 20th 2010, 09:50 AM

Why not limit yourself. For example go on for an hour at night before bed etc. Get someone to help you stick to this, so it will help you get work done during the day and you can still de-stress at night
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 20th 2010, 12:31 PM

lol found it:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f124-...d-video-games/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 21st 2010, 02:05 AM

Try staying with a friend and studying at their place. Out of sight, out of mind...study in places that the games are not there staring you in the face! :P
Better yet, disconnect them and put them away in a place they won't bother you temporarily until you get your studies done. Remember, your grades are more important than games.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 21st 2010, 03:34 PM

maybe try using the video games as a reward like if i do my homework i can play my video games. i play video games alot too, i find they do de stress me too espcially the violent ones! maybe have a friend round and play a 2 player video game like a driving / racing one so you can see your friends and still play video games ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 23rd 2010, 01:52 AM

I am addicted to World of Warcraft and I just stopped playing it recently. And it is definitely a great step for you that you recognize you are addicted. Now, you say you are stressed and you vent it out on video games. Therefore, I suggest that you could spend time with your friends and do something together, be it as a simple walk or a movie. I bet your friends will be more effective with your stress than your video games will ever be. If you really want to play, however, make sure you promise yourself that you could stop playing once you started, and finish your homework and your studying before you play.

Best of luck.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Adipose Offline
Not a n00b

Name: me

Re: Addicted to Video games - October 23rd 2010, 06:25 AM

i acually took the time to block the ip adress from my pc. when i do that, i have to go thru a series of other things just to play a round or two.

Closed Thread