TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
I'm only the monster u made me
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Finger drumming and cracking - June 5th 2011, 10:27 PM

Okay, I have this odd habit of whenever I'm nervous I crack my knuckles. I heard that it's bad for your fingers, so my mom always yells at me telling me to stop it. I've also heard from my uncle that there is no harm in it, because he has done it for almost all of his life and he has no problems. Is this truly bad for you? And if it is, what is a better alternative?

Also when I get bored I drum my fingers. Which annoys everyone around me. Especially my coworkers, because when I drum my fingers on the table in the front, the microphones pick it up and it gets about ten times louder in the back.

Any advice for what I can do with my hands when I'm nervous or bored.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

I love you both unconditionally

Let go of the fear Let go of the doubt
Let go of the ones who try to put you down
You're gonna be fine Don't hold it inside
If you hurt right now, then let it all come out
Breathe - Ryan Star

Your Helpful Tattoo Enthusiast Ask Away!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 8th 2011, 02:07 AM

I pop mu fingers... I feel like when I don't they feel swollen and they say it can cause arthritis but my grandma is 61 years old and still a poppin and has no problems it all depends on the person I guess.. When I took a sports medication class my teacher said it wears down the joints and thats a main cause of arthritis when that cartilage wears down. there are two forms of arthritis and they are osteoarthritis or rheumatoid. The difference is that rheumatoid is one of the most common types of arthritis, is an inflammatory condition that primarily involves the tissue that covers the joints. This disease progresses over time, suck as popping your knuckles it wear and tear and its is a progressive thing and Osteoarthritis is another common form of arthritis experienced by the elderly, they are both wear and tear but one is progressive and one just happens with age, but then again I guess it depends on your joints.... But once cartilage is gone its gone I think when you are like ten blood flow to cartilage is minimum to none and thats why cartilage is soo white, and its soo important that you take care of it.... Most joints have a bursa sac that creates like an oil for joints, and when you get old that runs out and your joints grind... But I have gotten wayy off topic sorry but I hope that helped

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
I'm only the monster u made me
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 8th 2011, 07:31 PM

I'm trying to go cold turkey from popping my knuckles, but I also get that swelling or stiff feeling when I don't. But the cold turkey thing isn't working and I still pop my fingers, much to my mother's discontent. Haha

My finger drumming I've pretty much stopped doing that at work, but I still do it at home sometimes.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

I love you both unconditionally

Let go of the fear Let go of the doubt
Let go of the ones who try to put you down
You're gonna be fine Don't hold it inside
If you hurt right now, then let it all come out
Breathe - Ryan Star

Your Helpful Tattoo Enthusiast Ask Away!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 8th 2011, 10:40 PM

just something your body gets use to I forgot what makes it pop its something like air in you joints but theres a scientific name for it and thats what makes the popping noise.. so when you don't pop them that air builds up and thats what causes the discomfort in it

You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

(#5 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 14th 2011, 06:19 AM

It's not really bad to crack your knuckles - just your neck! Often you can accidentally pop things the wrong way, and it's pretty easy to crack your knuckles back into the proper position. With your neck though, one wrong crack and...well, let's just say we all know it isn't good to damage our spinal cord. Me, I really don't like the feel of cracking anything myself, hence why I go to a chiropractor.

I always have to have something to do with my hands, as well. Sometimes I wear button shirts that are a little long for me so I can keep playing with the last button. I also wear things on my wrist - bracelets, rubber bands, hair ties. Or rings, if they don't bother you. Pens and pencils are great for me to click, but I'm in classes of 40 people, not near a microphone...so you should probably avoid those. But try the jewelry...it helps.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 14th 2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePrincess View Post
It's not really bad to crack your knuckles - just your neck! Often you can accidentally pop things the wrong way, and it's pretty easy to crack your knuckles back into the proper position. With your neck though, one wrong crack and...well, let's just say we all know it isn't good to damage our spinal cord. Me, I really don't like the feel of cracking anything myself, hence why I go to a chiropractor.

I always have to have something to do with my hands, as well. Sometimes I wear button shirts that are a little long for me so I can keep playing with the last button. I also wear things on my wrist - bracelets, rubber bands, hair ties. Or rings, if they don't bother you. Pens and pencils are great for me to click, but I'm in classes of 40 people, not near a microphone...so you should probably avoid those. But try the jewelry...it helps.
I use to pop my neck til my doctor told me I can pinch a nerve and be paralyzed... but yeah hair ties and stuff work

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 25th 2011, 11:07 AM

Twisting things and popping buttons should help, particularly for finger drumming, if the reason you do it is because you need to be doing something with your hands. I'm always fiddling with the buttons on my shirt sleeves or the poppers on my coat (although I've broken a few before.)

Cracking your fingers is not linked to arthritis. However, it can lead to soft tissue injuries due to damage to the ligaments around the joints.

Hope I helped a bit.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: Finger drumming and cracking - June 25th 2011, 11:52 AM

Cracking your knuckles isn't bad for you, and doesn't cause arthritis - that's a myth!

You could maybe keep a piece of bubble wrap in your pocket? Try and see if you can make it last all day without popping all the bubbles

Closed Thread