TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Keyblade Offline
Average Joe

Question August 29th 2011, 02:13 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Like the title says ^ idk what to put this under so its here :/

Well I have been sucking my thumb for the past 16 years. I recently quit about a year ago, (im 17 now btw). So for us thumbsuckers out there we like to have that thing we love to smell. For me, and i think most, its my pillow. I love to smell it when i use to suck my thumb, i brought comfort. I get really really upset each time my mom washes the sheets. It gets me so mad and upset that she does it that my "comfort" got washed away or something along those lines. So anyways, I quit sucking my thumb, but I still get upset with my mom washing my sheets. I mean it's every single time I go out of the house for a weekend and BAM my sheets are gone, theyre "ruined" and its up for me to put them away. I've asked her sooo many times to leave my room alone when i go out, but of course she doesn't listen and thinks she knows best. I mean I guess I like it when I clean my sheets. I guess it gives me that comfort that I know I'm doing it right. My point is, how do I really stop being mad at my mom for washing my sheets, I really don't want to get mad her, but it jst gets me so mad that she comes in my room and does that. Even when I asked her nicely she always HAS to give me a threat or add her 2 cents. So how do I fix this? 0.o

I mean she makes me want to start sucking my thumb again and i really dont want to DX

Last edited by Evanesco; September 17th 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Merging posts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: I think this is one of them but no so sure - September 4th 2011, 06:24 AM

Hey; when she washes your sheets, maybe you can try spraying them in something that will hide the scent of newly washed sheets! That way you're both happy; you'll have clean sheets and the smell that comforts you will be disguised!
Best of luck!

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I think this is one of them but no so sure - September 5th 2011, 03:38 AM

Hey,

Your Mom is most probably washing your sheets for hygenic reasons. I know you probably wouldn't want her to, because the smell comforts you. Maybe you could ask her not to wash them as much as she currently does? So you can have the smell in your bed for longer. I'd also suggest going out when she does change your bed covers, so you don't become angry at her.

I hope this has been of some help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Keyblade Offline
Average Joe

Re: I think this is one of them but no so sure - September 11th 2011, 10:09 PM

A little. I mean I've been thinking about putting a lock on my door but that's just too extreme. Its just she knows it gets me upset. Idk mayb she could make my bed and not tell me that she washed my sheets? But the smell isnt something that u spray on. Its our body's scent (lol idk how else to describe it) that's on the sheets.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I think this is one of them but no so sure - September 12th 2011, 12:37 AM

How about telling your mom how important it is for you to have those sheets on your bed? And maybe working out some agreement on caring in general for your room and belongings?

Parents need to know the specifics behind requests that they do not understand or otherwise wouldn't recognize as important. It's unclear how specific you've been with her about you experience your sheets and the importance of security, so it might be worth while to have a very serious convo with her about this and see if a little understanding on her part facilitates compliance with your needs.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Keyblade Offline
Average Joe

Re: I think this is one of them but no so sure - September 25th 2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
How about telling your mom how important it is for you to have those sheets on your bed? And maybe working out some agreement on caring in general for your room and belongings?

Parents need to know the specifics behind requests that they do not understand or otherwise wouldn't recognize as important. It's unclear how specific you've been with her about you experience your sheets and the importance of security, so it might be worth while to have a very serious convo with her about this and see if a little understanding on her part facilitates compliance with your needs.
I really do love your idea BUT one problem with that. My mother and I don't get along quite well. And everytime I want to talk to her about something she always blows me off! Or when I get upset withher she yells at me to tell her wats wrong. Not the most comforting thing in the world..... 0.o

Closed Thread