TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bluryface Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 24th 2017, 02:49 PM

Hello everybody !
i need someone to help
few years ago i just start falling in love with the Japanese language !!
it is really amazing and i like how the way it sounds !
I know it's hard .. but learning something you love make it easy and enjoyable
Anyway ..As i read on other forums and social websites , people are saying that learning Japanese language will take years and years to learn .. maybe at least 3 years to just be good at it .
I know it it's a nice language but i have to ask more cause it will be a long hard journey.
Does it worth it to learn Japanese language ? or this can be called wasting time
Will it help me that much in future career ?
What language you thinks its more important to learn ?(i like learning new languages in general)

Feel free to leave an answer

Last edited by bluryface; October 26th 2017 at 09:56 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 24th 2017, 03:06 PM

I don't think it would be a waste of time per se. I do think that, depending on what country you are in, you might not utilize Japanese as much. However, it could still be something fun to learn.

In the United States, one of the best languages to learn is Spanish. There are times when jobs require a person to speak Spanish. So, for me, knowing Spanish definitely could have been a good thing.

That being said, there are plenty of people who could benefit from speaking Spanish in the USA and do not end up learning. This doesn't tend to prevent them from getting a job or something. I think that if you don't take a language that is spoken a lot in your country it is unlikely that you will use it all that often.

However, if you were to travel to Japan or, even, want to consider getting a job in Japan it could end up being helpful to know the language.

I took German in High School and while I do not use it all that much, I do not regret taking it.

If you wanted to start learning Japenese while in school, I don't think there would be an issue. If you take it in college and you struggle or notice it impacting your primary studies then you could re-evaluate and decide if you should continue.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 24th 2017, 05:56 PM

I think you really have to ask yourself what use you will have with the Japanese language. Like the person above me said, it can be beneficial if you ever decide to go to Japan for a holiday or work there; but if it's not a significantly used language in your country, then there may be no real practical use for it.

I want to learn Norwegian, and there is a heavy Norwegian population out in the Midwestern US along the Canadian border (US States such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and sparsely in Montana and Michigan) but none where I am. So, it'd be impractical for me to really learn Norwegian beyond the basics (ie, "hei" "hvordan det du" etc. Might have gotten that phrase wrong but you get it) where I live. If I ever go to Norway, I can use English in a big city such as Oslo.

So, what I'm getting at is consider whether or not it's practical. I wouldn't waste money and college credits on something you'll never truly use. Best of luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 24th 2017, 06:04 PM

The people above me have already said pretty much everything I would say, so I don't want to sound redundant.

I do want to add, however, that you don't have to learn the language to appreciate it and love it. You could always listen to music in that language or find quotes in Japanese and hang them up in your room or draw them on your school binder or something. I grew up around a lot of Spanish music, and even though I can only understand bits and pieces of the songs they still make up a lot of my music just because I love the sound of the language.
It's good to appreciate other languages and cultures, and you can definitely do that without fully participating in it.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bluryface Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 24th 2017, 06:48 PM

Hmm actually japanese language is never used in my country .. also only few centers offers courses in Japanese . And it's so painful if i regret learning it later ! ugh i'm just so confused

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 24th 2017, 07:21 PM

If you really want to learn it in your free time, rather than spending money, there's a site called Duo Lingo that I just checked for Japanese and it actually has it!
It will probably be more challenging than learning it in a class, but you could use that for now to begin learning the language and see how that works out for you.

Here's the site.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 25th 2017, 01:09 AM

I have friend's that use duolingo and like it. One friend prefers using it on their desktop instead of on their phone though.

That being said, if you really want to learn Japanese and you can take it at your college there isn't anything inherently wrong with doing so. Depending on your financial situation, taking a course through your University might not be financially practical or, even, doable. However, if you look into the finances and can make it work and it is something that you truly want to try out then you should consider it.

While it isn't possible for everyone, sometimes exploring University courses that you enjoy and that are outside of your major can actually help you deal with the stress that comes from being in University.

I have had some friends and acquaintances that would supplement their boring major classes with fun classes such as art, music, ceramics etc. Those classes were never really going to count towards their major but they did enjoy it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
bluryface Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: is it waste of time to do this ?!! - October 25th 2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I have friend's that use duolingo and like it. One friend prefers using it on their desktop instead of on their phone though.

That being said, if you really want to learn Japanese and you can take it at your college there isn't anything inherently wrong with doing so. Depending on your financial situation, taking a course through your University might not be financially practical or, even, doable. However, if you look into the finances and can make it work and it is something that you truly want to try out then you should consider it.

While it isn't possible for everyone, sometimes exploring University courses that you enjoy and that are outside of your major can actually help you deal with the stress that comes from being in University.

I have had some friends and acquaintances that would supplement their boring major classes with fun classes such as art, music, ceramics etc. Those classes were never really going to count towards their major but they did enjoy it.
Yes this is a fun app and already have an account ! oh by the way it also can be a great idea to do something that i love in my free time in order to avoid the stress you mentioned .. at least it's still something considered as learning
Thank you so much All

Closed Thread