TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me

Modivation - July 24th 2018, 05:49 AM

I've come to realize if I want to break bad habits and get better grades and quit certain addictions, I need modivation. Which only lasts a few weeks, until I decide to give up and watch youtube all day. I'm Homeschooled which makes modivation for school a bit tough and I have to create fake deadlines to finish my work. Often it doesn't work. In fact, I hardly have modivation to do anything. Any ideas one how to modivate and stay modivated. I do want great things and to fix these nasty habits I have but I'm missing the key factor. :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Modivation - July 24th 2018, 12:43 PM

Hello,

Finding motivation can be difficult. You say that you've been able to find it in the past but it doesn't last. What causes you to feel motivated? It's possible that if you can figure out what leads to you becoming motivated you can work on trying to latch on to that and become more motivated.
Is there something in particular that leads to your motivation fading? I think that there are a ton of things that lead to motivation lacking and figuring out what impacts your motivation could be helpful. Lastly, sometimes, even when you aren't motivated you have to set goals and force yourself to try and accomplish them. It is hard to do but it isn't impossible. Do you think you could try making a list of goals and then over time you could try accomplishing each of the goals.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Modivation - July 25th 2018, 10:11 PM

Adding on to what the above poster said....

It's said that there are two types of motivation-extrinsic and intrinsic. Intrinsic means you feel motivated and rewarded perhaps by things like enjoyment of what you are doing, meeting your own goals, feeling pleased when you get the work done etc., while extrinsic relies on 'outside' things like making others proud, rewarding yourself with a treat, avoiding failing something etc. Being able to figure out what motivates you-whether that's getting the work done so you can reward yourself or trying to find ways of making things like studying fun- can be a good starting point.

Another thing is to pace yourself. You mention that your motivation only lasts a few weeks before you decide to spend all day on youtube. Perhaps it seems like during those few weeks, you spend most of the time studying and eventually get bored, whereas maybe trying to get a balance between studying and free time might help.

I remember when I was in school. One thing that kept me going was making a motivational poster of what I wanted my future to be like and that by studying I was getting a step closer to that. It helped me through my exams

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Re: Modivation - July 26th 2018, 07:05 AM

I think my modivation just comes from a spark or just simply wanting to fix something I probably should have fixed a long time ago, or the deadline is today! As for it fading,I think it comes with complications. One that I wanted to do was get my dog into agility, however summer came along and our city decided to move next to the sun.

I do think for some goals I can push myself to like losing weight (and gaining muscles), quit biting my nails, get homework done which I could also combine with pacing. I thiink tonight I'll write them down.

Prehaps the modivational poster will help as well.

Thank you both

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Re: Modivation - July 26th 2018, 07:05 AM

I think my modivation just comes from a spark or just simply wanting to fix something I probably should have fixed a long time ago, or the deadline is today! As for it fading,I think it comes with complications. One that I wanted to do was get my dog into agility, however summer came along and our city decided to move next to the sun.

I do think for some goals I can push myself to like losing weight (and gaining muscles), quit biting my nails, get homework done which I could also combine with pacing. I thiink tonight I'll write them down.

Prehaps the modivational poster will help as well.

Thank you both

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Modivation - August 13th 2018, 01:37 AM

To be blunt, have you ever thought about not relying on motivation? There is a quote by Chuck Close that took awhile to resonate for me, but it's true:

"Inspiration is for amateurs -- the rest of us just show up and get to work."

It is out of context considering he is a painted, but you can apply it to your life. Waiting for motivation is a method of procrastinating in itself. Recognize this and just get to work. Yeah, there are days you'll feel motivated, other days you won't. But the point is you should stick with whatever your goals are regardless of how you feel.

One thing that might help is really keeping yourself accountable. Create a list of things you should get done in a day. If you complete the list, reward yourself with something you like. e.g. watching YouTube videos. At the end of your day, review your list. Write why you didn't complete it, and create an action plan to make sure you finish it.

In terms of exercise, if you have an assignment, work on the assignment for x amount of time. When you work on it for that long, get up, go for a walk, then come back and work on it again. The point is you can't always do what you FEEL like doing. I'm afraid if that were the case, most people wouldn't have a job.

Something in general that you can do is create an exercise plan. For example, go on a 20 minute walk 3x a week. Then the next week increase it to 30 minute walk 3x a week. Then 30 minutes for 4x a week, etc. Slowly increase your progress, don't try to get everything done at once or you'll get burned out, which seems like that's happening to you. Exercise, sleep, diet, and drinking enough water effect your motivation, your mood, etc. So it's important to get that in check. The other thing is to recognize that everything you do is progress. You might only work on an assignment for 10 minutes before going on YouTube, but 10 minutes is better than 0 minutes. Once you recognize this, you'll start feeling good about the work you put in, and you'll feel bad about choosing to do something else with your time. This will help you focus on getting done what you need to.

Ultimately, no one and nothing can make you motivated. At the end of the day you just gotta do what you gotta do. Just remember, waiting for motivation is procrastination.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Re: Modivation - August 19th 2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWillDestroyYou View Post
To be blunt, have you ever thought about not relying on motivation? There is a quote by Chuck Close that took awhile to resonate for me, but it's true:

"Inspiration is for amateurs -- the rest of us just show up and get to work."

It is out of context considering he is a painted, but you can apply it to your life. Waiting for motivation is a method of procrastinating in itself. Recognize this and just get to work. Yeah, there are days you'll feel motivated, other days you won't. But the point is you should stick with whatever your goals are regardless of how you feel.

One thing that might help is really keeping yourself accountable. Create a list of things you should get done in a day. If you complete the list, reward yourself with something you like. e.g. watching YouTube videos. At the end of your day, review your list. Write why you didn't complete it, and create an action plan to make sure you finish it.

In terms of exercise, if you have an assignment, work on the assignment for x amount of time. When you work on it for that long, get up, go for a walk, then come back and work on it again. The point is you can't always do what you FEEL like doing. I'm afraid if that were the case, most people wouldn't have a job.

Something in general that you can do is create an exercise plan. For example, go on a 20 minute walk 3x a week. Then the next week increase it to 30 minute walk 3x a week. Then 30 minutes for 4x a week, etc. Slowly increase your progress, don't try to get everything done at once or you'll get burned out, which seems like that's happening to you. Exercise, sleep, diet, and drinking enough water effect your motivation, your mood, etc. So it's important to get that in check. The other thing is to recognize that everything you do is progress. You might only work on an assignment for 10 minutes before going on YouTube, but 10 minutes is better than 0 minutes. Once you recognize this, you'll start feeling good about the work you put in, and you'll feel bad about choosing to do something else with your time. This will help you focus on getting done what you need to.

Ultimately, no one and nothing can make you motivated. At the end of the day you just gotta do what you gotta do. Just remember, waiting for motivation is procrastination.
I guess you're right. I just need to push mysself to do the homework and chores and exercise.
For bad habits like nail biting or something else, thats a bit harder (esspecially since i dont realize I do it).

I know a lot of people have a general path they wish to get on but I guess i can start walking the main trail before figuring out how to move on with my life.

I mean, Ill defently try the other tips as well.

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak

Closed Thread