TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Goals for the summer. - April 30th 2011, 07:04 PM

My goal is to be able to run 8 miles non stop at a steady pace by the end of summer. I've started now and can run 1/2 mile steady non stop already and push another 1/4 mile after an 1/8 mile walking by then end of next week i plan on being able to run the full mile i've already noticed a HUGE difference in cardio at kick boxing practice last night i wasn't even tired

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Goals for the summer. - April 30th 2011, 09:14 PM

Awesome goal, good luck with it

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: Goals for the summer. - April 30th 2011, 10:13 PM

I think that's a really good goal to have and I wish you the best of luck with it! I'm actually working towards running a 5K next year so it's pretty cool to have somebody around with a similar goal. Stick at it, you'll get there!

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 1st 2011, 07:39 PM

That is a really cool goal to have! I hope you manage to achieve it and you will have to let us know how you get on

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Victoria ♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Victoria

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 1st 2011, 10:24 PM

That's a really great goal. I'm going to try to do more running over the summer.
I hope it goes well!

♥ 18.10.08 ♥
LiveHelp Operator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 2nd 2011, 03:51 AM

That is a really great goal and I should probably do that with you! I can run 2.1 miles right now, but I have a long way to go before I get to 8 haha. Keep me updated on how you are doing.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 2nd 2011, 10:14 AM

Nice goal, but are you sure that going from 0 mile to 8 miles non-stop within 3 months is realistic?

Sure, it's possible with enough training, but going from zero to eight in such a short time (less time 3 months, in your case) isn't exactly realistic (seeing that as of now, you cannot even finish a full 1 mile without stopping).

I think it's better if you set a more realistic goal for now, something like running 3 miles under 30 minutes. Then after that, force it to under 20 minutes. Three miles in under 20 minutes is really amazing already, by the way; I know I cannot finish 3 miles in under 20 minutes.

Then, as your body slowly getting used to it, you can slowly increase to 6 miles, then eight miles, in less than one hour. Rather than LESS than 3 months, try giving yourself a year or more.

Hope you took no offense, but I think that high goals are good, but unrealistic goals might bring unnecessary discouragement.

Last edited by Digilodger; May 2nd 2011 at 10:21 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 2nd 2011, 10:38 AM

It's realistic I think. She didn't specify any kind of speed... so it could be the very minimum jogging pace.

I'm sure you've got your own programme but what I do to achieve goals like that is:

1. Warm-up - just by walking for 2 or 3 minutes fast pace on the treadmill
2. Then go at your slowest jogging pace for another 5 minutes
3. Go Significantly faster for 10 minutes
4. Cool-down... gradually slow down

And you gotta eat carbs or you'll be going to sleep 6pm exhausted.

Inclining the treadmill might also be a good idea, but I rarely play with that feature. Also for some reason, even though I usually feel crap in the morning I actually am able to run for longer, even without any breakfast.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 4th 2011, 06:21 PM

well i'm not exactly starting from zero if i really push i can almost do a full mile, and with mma/kickboxing "it's all about heart and who wants it more" my coaches always tell me "try until you fail, then keep going" so i don't really think it's unrealistic if i want it bad enough. i'm actually aiming for 6-8 miles by the end of summer, 8 being the ideal. and as for speed right now i go at a jogging pace. i think when starting out slow and steady really does win the race. i also find that if i shadow box while i run i can go farther without stopping or getting tired. my boyfriend is also a huge encouragement and gives me advice as well for warm ups, stretches, cool downs contrast showers and ice and protein after runs (he's in university for physiotherapy and is qaulified for personal training), so i do alot of that stuff already for warm ups i make sure i do alot of movement with the upper body because i get cramps in my ribs, i also stretch my legs well and do the length between one of the trees in the middle of my backyard to the house which i think is about 20-35 ish meters and i do that at a average running pace about 5 times to warm up, and i walk an 1/8 of a mile as a cool down...so i think im set for the most part however the shin splints i have been battling may slow me down, i need to save up my money for some new shoes that have good support for running :S but i appreciate the support and concern, im fully aware it's a little unrealistic but i've also learned that if i don't keep thoughts of doubt in my mind, i know there is no doubt i can do it. if that makes any sense.

It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 4th 2011, 09:44 PM

I wish I had the fortitude and stamina to run. I can't run more than a half mile right now. Good luck though.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 5th 2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
I wish I had the fortitude and stamina to run. I can't run more than a half mile right now. Good luck though.
lol if you want it badly enough you will eventually be able to :P

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 6th 2011, 08:57 PM

If you're getting shin splints it could mean you don't have the right type of running shoes. Also what might help is drinking more milk to get calcium in you to strengthen your bones.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 7th 2011, 03:19 AM

yeah i know i need new shoes i just can't afford them, money is tight i bought some from walmart to make do for now...bad idea. and i can't exactly drink milk since im lactose intolerant

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 7th 2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieRage View Post
yeah i know i need new shoes i just can't afford them, money is tight i bought some from walmart to make do for now...bad idea. and i can't exactly drink milk since im lactose intolerant
I have a friend who is the same. There's something called "Rice milk" that he drinks instead. Apparently he hates the taste of it lol... I don't know if you're aware of such alternatives.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 8th 2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
I have a friend who is the same. There's something called "Rice milk" that he drinks instead. Apparently he hates the taste of it lol... I don't know if you're aware of such alternatives.
my dad doesn't go out of his way to be considerate of my lactose intolerance so i just don't drink milk.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 8th 2011, 06:07 AM

I am lactose intolerant too and I eat a calcium chew or two every day.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 11th 2011, 04:45 PM

Eight miles is totally a long distance. I'm not much of a runner so I would never be able to do this.
However, you could totally do it. It's going to be hard work, but you can do it.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 12th 2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
I am lactose intolerant too and I eat a calcium chew or two every day.
like i mentioned my dad doesn't go out of his way much to be considerate of my lactose in tolerance he'd tell me i don't need it nor can we afford it :S, i guess just gotta eat lots of spinich and such things.....

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 14th 2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieRage View Post

like i mentioned my dad doesn't go out of his way much to be considerate of my lactose in tolerance he'd tell me i don't need it nor can we afford it :S, i guess just gotta eat lots of spinich and such things.....
Calcium chews are found at the grocery store, so maybe you could buy some when you and your dad go grocery shopping?
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 15th 2011, 08:22 AM

I suggest you go out to your neighborhood park or track oval and practice joggin long distances.

What I did before a big competition: first day jog as much as you can, second day = 1 lap more, third day, 1 lap more etc. until you see yourself jogging for fun xD.

Good luck, 8 miles is definitely doable!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#21 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 15th 2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I suggest you go out to your neighborhood park or track oval and practice joggin long distances.

What I did before a big competition: first day jog as much as you can, second day = 1 lap more, third day, 1 lap more etc. until you see yourself jogging for fun xD.

Good luck, 8 miles is definitely doable!
i live in a very small town i just run the mile roads lol, graval not the best for running but it gets the job done

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Goals for the summer. - May 29th 2011, 11:51 AM

Eight miles is a very long distance, but I believe you can do it, and you are determined to do it! Good luck!

Closed Thread