TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wingardium27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Siobhan

Court - Minimum and Maximum Punishments? - April 15th 2016, 07:36 PM

Hi,

I was recently sexually assaulted and there is an ongoing police investigation. It may go to court and I was wondering what the minimum and maximum punishments could be (in the UK). The circumstances were as follows:

• It took place in the UK (specifically England)
• We were both minors - I was 13 at the time and he was 13-14 (seeing as it was at a yr 9 school disco)
• We were both sober (no drugs and/or alcohol)
• He followed me from the place where the contact was first initiated (by him) to where the assault took place
• He was fully aware that I said no - I started by shouting at him, eventually begging and pleading for him to please stop
• He groped me (breasts, put his hands in my knickers and stroked 'down there') but there was no penetration

I was just wondering how severe the punishment would be if anyone was convicted as I would really like him bought to justice with a suitable punishment. Thanks in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Court - Minimum and Maximum Punishments? - April 15th 2016, 08:43 PM

It's very brave of you to have reported him so you should take a moment and recognise your courage!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that many people here will be able to give you an exact or even accurate estimate about the severity of the punishment should it go to court.

Generally speaking though, it's a less severe punishment if the perpetrator is under 18, and there is less than 5 years between you and the perpetrator. It may be difficult to prosecute if he denies what happened and there are no witnesses. On the other hand, the fact that you didn't consent to it, goes in your favour and if found guilty, the perpetrator may be given a caution or a fine. While this might not be the justice you want, a caution will show up on a DBS (formerly CRB check) which means that his future employers will see the crime. I think the most severe punishment would be being put on the Sex Offenders Register for a year or so. But again, that's just my interpretation of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, and I am in no way a professional. It might help to talk to someone who is dealing with your case and see what type of punishment he might receive. Alternatively, you could contact Victim Support and see if they can help you.

Hope things work out for you!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Court - Minimum and Maximum Punishments? - April 16th 2016, 12:28 AM

Did anyone working on your case give you their contact information? My detective gave me his information and I was later able to give him more information for the case. It might be worth contacting someone so you can ask them any questions you have on your mind.

I can't give you an exact estimate but I think it's important for you to prepare for different outcomes in the event that this goes to court. Going to court is healing for many, but hard as well and you might not get the outcome you're looking for. Many people are found guilty, but some are found innocent even when they're guilty so that is something to keep in mind. You might want to talk to your parents or your counselor about preparing for this sort of thing.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wingardium27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Court - Minimum and Maximum Punishments? - April 16th 2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWelshWolf View Post
It's very brave of you to have reported him so you should take a moment and recognise your courage!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that many people here will be able to give you an exact or even accurate estimate about the severity of the punishment should it go to court.

Generally speaking though, it's a less severe punishment if the perpetrator is under 18, and there is less than 5 years between you and the perpetrator. It may be difficult to prosecute if he denies what happened and there are no witnesses. On the other hand, the fact that you didn't consent to it, goes in your favour and if found guilty, the perpetrator may be given a caution or a fine. While this might not be the justice you want, a caution will show up on a DBS (formerly CRB check) which means that his future employers will see the crime. I think the most severe punishment would be being put on the Sex Offenders Register for a year or so. But again, that's just my interpretation of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, and I am in no way a professional. It might help to talk to someone who is dealing with your case and see what type of punishment he might receive. Alternatively, you could contact Victim Support and see if they can help you.

Hope things work out for you!
Thank you - I just thought it would be worth asking to see if anyone had any idea what the punishment might be if he is found guilty. To be honest I'm not holding out hope that anything will come of it - it's taken the police 6 weeks now to actually start investigating after the crime was reported.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've done some online research and came up with a similar answer but I was interested to see if anyone else could shed some light on what exactly might happen if he is found guilty. I will try to get it contact with the officer handling my case and see if he can give a more accurate answer. Thanks for the link to Victim Support - I'll have a look and give it a try.

Thanks for your help!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wingardium27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Court - Minimum and Maximum Punishments? - April 16th 2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
Did anyone working on your case give you their contact information? My detective gave me his information and I was later able to give him more information for the case. It might be worth contacting someone so you can ask them any questions you have on your mind.

I can't give you an exact estimate but I think it's important for you to prepare for different outcomes in the event that this goes to court. Going to court is healing for many, but hard as well and you might not get the outcome you're looking for. Many people are found guilty, but some are found innocent even when they're guilty so that is something to keep in mind. You might want to talk to your parents or your counselor about preparing for this sort of thing.
The officer working on my case gave his colleague number and we have his email address, although he's currently on leave and he only works nights so getting hold of him is difficult.

I am trying to prepare myself for the possibility of it not even getting to a court case whilst trying to remain open minded and positive and hoping that he will be punished for what he's done. I have open offers of support from everyone at the moment - family, friends, teachers, counsellors and pastoral managers. I'll talk to each of them in turn to see if they can help me prepare for going to court (or the possibility of it not getting to court).

Thanks for all the advice!

Closed Thread