TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Winchester666 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Possibly Emotional Abuse - November 26th 2017, 12:35 AM

So it started a while ago. I've never had the best relationship with my dad. At all. He always got mad at me when I would cry because usually it wasn't because I was physically hurt. Or he would say he should be the one crying, not me. He'd get mad at my sister if she told my mom something he did. He once even took my little sister to the park to yell at her for asking if him and my mom would get divorced. He's most of the reason now I have a hard time communicating my feelings. He put the idea of pain being relative in my head without meaning too. He isn't as bad now, but sometimes it's the same, and he still gets really mad at my sister because she has a hard time controlling her volume and doesn't know when she's being too loud. I feel bad asking this because I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, but my sister says to at least ask since it's had a lasting impact on my mental health. But I don't know. So respond as you see fit.

"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good." - George Feeny

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Re: Possibly Emotional Abuse - November 26th 2017, 12:42 AM

Don't feel bad. Personally I know what your dad has done, and it is emotional abuse. If someone places these feelings in your mind its abuse, plain and simple. Get help hun. <3333

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Possibly Emotional Abuse - November 26th 2017, 10:57 PM

Even though you never had the best relationship with your dad, it does sound like he can be emotionally abusive at times. Unfortunately, some people may wrongly believe that unless you are physically hurting or going though something really traumatic, that you have no reason to cry. This can be very damaging, especially if you grew up feeling like you could never be safe enough to express your feelings and get validation for what you are feeling. It also sounds like he would take out whatever problems he was having with your mother, on your sister. This is also an unhealthy way of parenting, since he should've discussed things with your mother, rather than yelling at your sister.

It's good to know that your dad isn't so bad, but I do agree with your sister in asking about his behaviour, since it seems to be affecting your mental health. It's also understandable that you would feel conflicted about your dad's behaviour and see it as not a big deal. But a general rule is that if it happens regularly and over a period of time, and it affects you negatively, then it's likely that you aren't making a big deal of this at all.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Winchester666 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Re: Possibly Emotional Abuse - November 27th 2017, 02:01 PM

Thank you guys so much for your advice. I have a meeting with my therapist today so I was planning on talking to her about it. The problem is this morning, my dad doesn't know that I was planning on it, yet he still made me feel guilty for wanting to.

"Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good." - George Feeny

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Possibly Emotional Abuse - November 28th 2017, 12:53 PM

A characteristic of many emotionally abusive people is guilt tripping. Even though your dad didn’t know you were planning on talking to your therapist it sounds like he did something to guilt trip you about your feelings for him. Do try to talk to your therapist about this and when your dad tries to guilt trip you, remind yourself that it is just a characteristic of his abusive qualities.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread