TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 21st 2018, 07:16 PM

Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault:

It's not uncommon for people to believe the different myths pertaining to sexual assault. This article aims to disprove some of the myths that exist.
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f79-r...exual-assault/

What do you think of this article?

Do you feel there are other myths that were not discussed?

Articles is a great resource and we want to remind all users that we have the Content Submission Form where you can submit ideas about topics you'd like to see in future articles we publish.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 22nd 2018, 12:45 AM

I like how this article debunks some of the myths.

I was in a program in my school called VPAS (Violence Prevention, Victim Advocacy, and Support) and the false reports one is definitely a big myth. I was told by the person who runs the program that only between 2-10% of reports are false.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 22nd 2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onism. View Post
I like how this article debunks some of the myths.

I was in a program in my school called VPAS (Violence Prevention, Victim Advocacy, and Support) and the false reports one is definitely a big myth. I was told by the person who runs the program that only between 2-10% of reports are false.
Yeah the statistics show that false reports do not happen that often. I think that's one of the myth's that frustrates me the most and it probably has to do with my past. I faced a lot of comments because I waited a while to report my abuse.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 22nd 2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah the statistics show that false reports do not happen that often. I think that's one of the myth's that frustrates me the most and it probably has to do with my past. I faced a lot of comments because I waited a while to report my abuse.
That's the other thing I am glad for about VPAS. It's a campus service but they let the people who come by know that they don't have to do anything they're not comfortable with. The advocates will be with you and help if you want to press charges or with school wide issues like getting someone banned from a dorm, etc. But they're also just there to listen if you want that too and even if it's something that happened to you years ago and you want support or just to talk, they'll do that too. They are required to tell you your options and to reach out, but they won't pressure you to make any sort of decision and will respect whatever you choose or have chose in the past without asking you why you didn't do something. More people and organizations need to do that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 23rd 2018, 02:38 PM

These are great and informative. I know after the allegations against various famous people, I heard people victim blaming by saying why didn't the women report it earlier? So maybe a myth can be that if a victim doesn't report it, it must've not been that big of a deal or something? That's something people tend to think and it got me upset. But I guess it goes along with the false reports myth?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 23rd 2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komorebi_Sisu View Post
These are great and informative. I know after the allegations against various famous people, I heard people victim blaming by saying why didn't the women report it earlier? So maybe a myth can be that if a victim doesn't report it, it must've not been that big of a deal or something? That's something people tend to think and it got me upset. But I guess it goes along with the false reports myth?

To an extent, it does fall under false reporting. I remember reading or hearing a lot of the comments about people waiting too long and it really did hurt me because it took years for me to report. I had to unfollow a few pages on facebook while the stuff with Hollywood was going on because I was getting really frustrated and mad.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; April 23rd 2018 at 03:39 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Article Revival: Disproving The Myths of Sexual Assault - April 23rd 2018, 06:59 PM

I definitely agree with that. There are so many reasons why people don't come forward and a lot of people don't see that.

Closed Thread