TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*Poppy* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mackenzie

Emotional Abuse - December 9th 2018, 02:33 PM

I suffered many years of emotional abuse and brainwashing from not only my parents but people I was suppose to trust in what I thought at the time was a close knit church group. Well it was more than a Cult that I was unfortunately born into. I was able to escape from it at the young age of 14 and my life is better but still haunted by the many years of emotional abuse and brainwashing I went through. I still am quite confused about God and religion and believe it or not even with my life way better than it was back then there are times that I get so scared I want to run back. I know I will never do that, but it still comes into my head and drives me crazy. My birth parents are still wrapped up in it and you'd think they would have tried to escape to look for me but that shows the power it has over them. I am done with them and have been officially adopted by my Foster Mom and Dad who are now my parents.

I see a therapist and a Psychiatrist and mostly what helps me is writing in a journal. I also enjoy coloring when I experience anxiety. I guess my question to everyone here is has anyone experienced horrible emotional abuse over a prolonged period of time from people that you re suppose to trust and how do you all deal with that today? Thanks for reading another one of my long posts.

Are you insane like me?
Been in pain like me?
Bought a 100 dollar bottle of champagne like me?
Just to pour that motherfucker down the drain like me?
Would you use your water bill to dry the stain like me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Emotional Abuse - December 11th 2018, 04:30 PM

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through. You should never have had to go through manipulation and brainwashing as a child from the people that you should've been able to trust the most.

It's good that you are doing better these days. I do understand why you may have sudden urges to run back into all of that. They are family and it's all you have ever known up until recently. You're still adjusting to your new life and trying to process the past as well and that's a difficult task. It makes sense that in some way you'd have those feelings to go back, especially if you get scared. Although it's good you realise you wouldn't do that.

My situation is very different to yours but like you, I do find journaling and talking to a therapist helpful. When I get difficult thoughts about the past I like to try to accept myself as I am. I tell myself that it's okay to still get a bit upset about what was and what could've been and though I may struggle, I try to tell myself that I am worthy just as I am.

Hope others can share their suggestions too!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Noire Online
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Emotional Abuse - December 11th 2018, 09:49 PM

I am sorry that you had to go through what you did. I can only imagine how difficult things must be for you at times, but I am glad you are in a safe place now with good people who care about you and want the best for you.

My situation was different than yours. The abuse only lasted a couple of years but, due to the nature of it, it fundamentally changed my view of myself as a person. I trusted my abuser and I didn't see how I could exist as an entity without him. To be honest I still struggle with that to this day, but with the help of the people who love me, a therapist, and journaling I've started to come back into pieces of myself. I hope you can do the same. I know abuse that's lasted a lifetime makes that more difficult but I believe you can do it.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
Closed Thread