TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

It goes along with depression - May 7th 2012, 02:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I already know I have Depression, but does a personality disorder have anything to do with it? i've talked to some people and I do have severe depression. But now people are starting to think I have a personality disorder. Should I see my doctor for help or something? or get checked out. I'm not allowed to go to therapy anymore. The doctor I have right now doesn't know I have Depression because I have switched between 3 doctors over the past couple months. My other doctors haven't said anything to me about my Depression. So it's like I don't want to tell the one I have now so she'l just not do anything about it or not give me medication or not recommend me for something. Should I talk to my counselor about a personality disorder? Can I really do anything about it?

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: It goes along with depression - May 7th 2012, 02:47 AM

Talk to your doctor about it! If you have depression and it's not being treated, it can mess up all sorts of stuff without you being aware of it. Also, because you've changed doctors, you really need to let them know how you're feeling so they can help you - GPs can be great at organising some simple stuff to help you cope and to treat the depression.

As for personality disorders, it's unlikely that you have one, mainly because as a teenager your personality is still developing and will be for some years yet.
You can always talk to your counselor if you're worried, in fact that's a good thing to do. Remember, just because friends and family suggest something, does not mean that's necessarily the case.
=]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: It goes along with depression - May 7th 2012, 07:16 PM

Thank you. I talked a little bit with my counselor today because she had this thing to do with my first hour. Mostly I'm not being treated for Depression is because the drugs can be very addicting and it'll only get worse for me. Also because my body isn't developed enough like it should be. So by just taking one pill or something it would be like overdose. I'll try to talk to my doctor, but it won't be until after june 13. I can't miss anymore days of school and week days are the only times i get to see her.

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: It goes along with depression - May 8th 2012, 01:05 AM

I know it can be difficult, but try to stick with one doctor and/or psychiatrist and psychologist.

Personality Disorders can be comorbid with mood disorders, so the best advice would be to speak with your current therapist, and perhaps be referred to a PD service if there's a relatively local one.

I wish you all the best

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: It goes along with depression - May 8th 2012, 02:55 AM

I would love to stick to one doctor, but my parents keep switching our health insuarnce companies, plus they are getting a divorce. So I have no idea what's going on.

my parents won't let me see my therapist anymore. She called Child Protective Services and they got mad. So now I'm not allowed to go to therapy. The only person I can talk to is my counselor at school.

-Goodnight Tonight

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: It goes along with depression - May 8th 2012, 03:06 AM

Many modern anti-depressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, etc) are not as addictive as anti-depressants in the past have been, although generally people will be on them for between 6 months and 2 years, depending on the condition and how you react.

All anti-depressants are meant to carry a black-box warning because in the initial stages they can sometimes increase the amount of suicidal ideation in patients and therefore temporarily raise the suicide risk, necessitating much closer observation during both the trial period and the initial treatment period, and this observation can be hard to maintain, especially if you're having trouble with health insurance - which being from New Zealand I know nothing about, most of our public health stuff is free.

I can understand their not wanting to use medications if you haven't reached a certain point in your development, but there are also other things they should be considering which could help you - for example St John's Wort, although use of this should be monitored by a health professional. There's also different types of therapy which can be useful in the treatment of depression.

Keep holding on until you can see your doctor, maybe write down a list of things you want to ask about so that when you get to your appointment you can be sure you've gone over everything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: It goes along with depression - May 8th 2012, 10:34 AM

I think you should talk about all this with both your counsellor and your parents. If you are not okay, they should do anything possible to help you and of that means getting you a therapist, so be it. If they won't let you anyway, tell your counsellor and see what S/he tells you...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: It goes along with depression - May 8th 2012, 07:57 PM

I already talked to my counselor about not seeing a therapist and not getting better. She just says to try to keep talking to my parents. I was already talking with the counselor and my parents back in December and my parents just lied and said they never did any of the things i brought up. I really don't want to be put in that situation again. It was way too painful. I've never been more hurt in my life.

-Goodnight Tonight

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: It goes along with depression - May 9th 2012, 01:44 PM

I'm so sorry you're in such a difficult position. Try phone counselling, like the Samaritans, call free from your cell/mobile if you need to. People are out there, it's obviously just trickier in your situation, to get the help. Maybe the phone counsellors can advise you.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: It goes along with depression - May 9th 2012, 11:02 PM

I hate to add another problem for you, but I don't have a phone.

-Goodnight Tonight

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: It goes along with depression - May 10th 2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLeeDemarcus View Post
Thank you. I talked a little bit with my counselor today because she had this thing to do with my first hour. Mostly I'm not being treated for Depression is because the drugs can be very addicting and it'll only get worse for me. Also because my body isn't developed enough like it should be. So by just taking one pill or something it would be like overdose. I'll try to talk to my doctor, but it won't be until after june 13. I can't miss anymore days of school and week days are the only times i get to see her.
There are different "families" of anti-depressants, although as previously stated, the risk of addiction has drastically decreased. Doctors do a mental calculation of what should be the ideal dosage given your age, gender, medical history and so forth. When starting a new medication, generally it is given at a very low dosage, so the risk of overdose is reduced assuming you follow the directions and I'm assuming you are otherwise medically healthy. Some psychiatrists will give a few pills as a trial at a very low cost (or perhaps for free) to see your improvement, which should take 2-3 weeks and any side-effects that would emerge sooner.

Personality disorders are also their own family of psychiatric disorders. They are long-lasting traits evident from early childhood. To answer your specific question, they can be co-morbid (i.e. occur at the same time) as depression. There is also depressive personality disorder, which used to be a formal diagnosis, then was scrapped and recently came back into question, however, it currently isn't a formal diagnosis. Perhaps in a few years whenever the DSM-V is released, depressive personality disorder may be included. If people are mentioning personality disorders because you've had depression for a long time, it could be dysthymia, which is a slightly milder depression that lasts for years.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: It goes along with depression - May 10th 2012, 07:48 PM

Thank you so much. That has helped me a lot.

-Goodnight Tonight

Closed Thread