TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Question What's the difference?? - May 11th 2012, 05:46 PM

Hi everyone,
So, I was just wondering.... what's the difference between Borderline Personality Disorder and Bipolar Disorder. I'm not exactly sure which catorgy I fall under. Thanks in advance for the advice.
  Send a message via Skype™ to ReasonsForRecovery 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: What's the difference?? - May 11th 2012, 06:39 PM

Borderline personality disorder is a disorder of the personality that causes mood swings (usually lasting between a few hours but normally no longer than a few days), impulsivity, and instability of self-image, identity, behaviour and interpersonal relationships. It can be treated by therapy.
Bipolar is a mood disorder characterised by more long term periods of depression/mania, typically lasting at least 2 weeks each. It is usually treated with medication.
I wouldn't try to diagnose yourself though. If you're concerned about having either, I would definately get it checked out by a doctor. Hope this helps
Ella

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: What's the difference?? - May 11th 2012, 06:43 PM

If your not sure what you have then you have to talk to a professional about that like a therapist or psychologist. There tell you for sure what you have. Dont diagnosie your self.
Borderlines cycle more quickly than bipolors. Bordelrines love and hate black and white thinking bipolors do not. Bordelrine moods happen based on whats going on bipolor moods dont usaly happen based on whats going on they come out of no where. Bordelriens see them self as worthless or bad bipolors usaly dont. Borderlnes fear and hate abandonment bipolor does not. Borderlines have unstable relationships bipolors dont. Just read the symptoms of bipolor and borderline and you will see the diffrences. Borderline is a personality disorder but bipolor is not.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 02:07 AM

I have to disagree with what Lauri said, a lot of people who have Bipolar disorder can and do experience problems such as unstable relationships, abandonment issues, and problems with self worth.
I do agree that self diagnosis is a bad idea and that if you feel you have any sort of health problem, mental or otherwise, it would be safest to see your doctor about it.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 03:45 AM

The two disorders are similar, but they also have some differences. Both involve extreme mood swings and can cause problems with school, work, and relationships. However, the types of mood swings differ. In bipolar disorder, individuals experience extreme mood swings that result in manic highs and depressive lows. In borderline personality disorder, individuals have unstable moods that result from a low self-image and harm their ability to form lasting relationships. For a more detailed comparison of the two, you might want to check out this website.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 05:12 AM

Put simply, they share the same key traits (mood swings, rage, impulsivity), but their nature (one being more chemical - Bipolar, the other more environmental but also chemical and biological -BPD) and presentation (lability and length of mood swings, as well as their affectivity) set them apart.

The core difference is mania (as in Bipolar), or lack thereof (BPD), however BPD 'Euphoria' Upswings can mimic Bipolar Hypomanic episodes, so a proper diagnosis to differentiate, or diagnose the two disorders as co-morbid (co-existing) is important.

Some argue that BPD is a Mood Disorder as well as a Personality Disorder, and as it shares key traits with Bipolar, it can be classified on the Bipolar Scale.

However, as mentioned above, they have their differences and are different disorders.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michy_Blackrose View Post
but their nature (one being more chemical - Bipolar, the other more environmental but also chemical and biological -BPD)
Why do you say bipolar disorder has a more chemical but less environmental nature?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 05:28 AM

I was more aware of it as being of a chemical/biological nature due to the 'differently wired' structures in the brain. Mania cannot be 'learnt', it's due to chemical imbalances. Personality Disorders, on the other hand, in part, are due to a self or otherwise 'learned' behaviour/coping strategy borne out of a fragmented personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Why do you say bipolar disorder has a more chemical but less environmental nature?

So darkness I became.

<3
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ View Post
The two disorders are similar, but they also have some differences. Both involve extreme mood swings and can cause problems with school, work, and relationships. However, the types of mood swings differ. In bipolar disorder, individuals experience extreme mood swings that result in manic highs and depressive lows. In borderline personality disorder, individuals have unstable moods that result from a low self-image and harm their ability to form lasting relationships. For a more detailed comparison of the two, you might want to check out this website.
BPDs can also suffer Euphoric 'Hypomanic' type episodes, as well as the debilitating shifts from depression through to anxiety and rage.

So darkness I became.

<3
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: What's the difference?? - May 12th 2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michy_Blackrose View Post
I was more aware of it as being of a chemical/biological nature due to the 'differently wired' structures in the brain. Mania cannot be 'learnt', it's due to chemical imbalances. Personality Disorders, on the other hand, in part, are due to a self or otherwise 'learned' behaviour/coping strategy borne out of a fragmented personality.
All behaviours come from the body and nervous system, there's no way to argue otherwise. Both disorders will feature "chemical imbalances" and different neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, which is why I was confused about your argument as you are stating otherwise. Differences in neuroplasticity is seen in both disorders, again no possible argument otherwise, at least none I've ever heard or can think of. Whenever I hear or read of "fragmented personality", it generally shifts toward a dissociative disorder, which can be valid for the dissociative symptoms of BPD but not for all personality disorders. Likewise, the environment plays a crucial factor for both BPD or bipolar disorder, although my view is differing from yours but I feel both are correct.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread